Blunted on Reality
Blunted on Reality is the debut studio album released by American hip hop group Fugees in February 1994 on the Ruffhouse records label. Three singles were released from the album: ”Boof Baf”, ”Nappy Heads” and ”Vocab”. The album received mixed to favorable reviews and was followed up with the critically acclaimed The Score in 1996.
|Blunted on Reality|
|Studio album by|
|Released||February 1, 1994|
|Recorded||June 1992–June 1993|
|Producer||Pras, Wyclef Jean, Khalis Bayyan, Salaam Remi, Brand X, Stephen Walker, Rashad Muhammad|
|Singles from Blunted on Reality|
The album was written and recorded by the group in 1992. However, following a long dispute with their record company, the album was not released until February 1, 1994. Most versions of the album contain eighteen tracks, with the addition of a remix of "Nappy Heads" on the majority of these versions. Prior to the album's release, "Boof Baf" was released as the album's lead single. Commercially, the single was unsuccessful. The album's highest charting single is "Nappy Heads", peaking at number 49 on the Billboard Hot 100. "Vocab" was released as the album's third and final single. It failed to chart on the Billboard Hot 100.
Although the album did not contain as many lyrics with overtly politically messages as songs from The Score, there were still political intentions. Wyclef Jean describes the meaning of the title of their first album in a 1990 interview on the television program Lorna’s Corner: “when the cop is messing around with somebody for something that the person didn’t do and they try to set ‘em up, that makes me blunted on reality. When the government is taking money on arms…and that money could be going back to the community it makes me blunted on reality. It’s just awareness of what’s going on…that’s what blunted on reality means…It don’t mean that I smoke weed…cause I’m too paranoid as it is.”
Before the release of their critically acclaimed sophomore album, The Score in 1996, the album sold an estimated 12,000 copies. Since then, the album has sold 130,000 copies in the United States to date.
|New York Times||(favorable)|
|1||"Introduction"||Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|2||"Nappy Heads"||Brand X, Pras, Rashad Muhammad & Wyclef Jean||Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|3||"Blunted" (Interlude)/"Blunted On Reality" (unlisted)||Pras & Wyclef Jean; Co-Producer: Khalis Bayyan||Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|4||"Recharge"||Khalis Bayyan, Pras & Wyclef Jean||Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|5||"Freestyle" (Interlude)||Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|6||"Vocab"||Pras & Wyclef Jean||Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|7||"Special News Bulletin" (Interlude)||Khalis Bayyan, Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|8||"Boof Baf"||Khalis Bayyan, Pras & Wyclef Jean||Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean, Pras Michel & Mad Spida|
|9||"Temple"||Pras & Wyclef Jean; Co-Producer: Khalis Bayyan||Lauryn Hill,Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|10||"How Hard Is It?"||Khalis Bayyan, Pras & Wyclef Jean||Wyclef Jean, Pras Michel & Lauryn Hill|
|11||"Harlem Chit Chat" (Interlude)||Rashad Muhammad|
|12||"Some Seek Stardom"||Rashad Muhammad & Stephen Walker||Lauryn Hill|
|13||"Giggles"||Pras & Wyclef Jean; Co-Producers: Khalis Bayyan & Rashad Muhammad||Pras Michel; chorus: Lauryn Hill|
|14||"Da Kid from Haiti" (Interlude)||Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|15||"Refugees on the Mic"||Pras & Wyclef Jean; Co-Producer: Khalis Bayyan||Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|16||"Living Like There Ain't No Tomorrow"||Pras & Wyclef Jean||Wyclef Jean|
|17||"Shout Outs from the Block"||Wyclef Jean, Lauryn Hill, Pras Michel & uncredited guests|
|18||"Nappy Heads" (Remix)||Salaam Remi||Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean & Pras Michel|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Amazon.com: Boof Baf [Vinyl]: Music". Amazon.com. Archived from the original on 2014-04-29. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- Coleman, Brian (2007). p. 213.
- Ebony. November 1996. p. 72. Accessed from May 31, 2013.
- "The Fugees". Lorna's Corner. 1990. Hartford Public Access TV. Archived from the original on 2016-05-11.
- Vibe. Vol. 4, No. 5. June–July 1996. p. 75. Accessed from May 31, 2013.
- Birchmeier, Jason (1994-02-01). "Blunted on Reality - Fugees : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Music: Blunted on Reality (1st Album) (CD) by Fugees (Tranzlator Crew)". Tower.com. 1996-07-01. Archived from the original on 2009-02-12. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "The Pop Life - New York Times". Nytimes.com. 1995-01-05. Archived from the original on 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Bwinning (1994-02-01). "Blunted on Reality : Fugees". Rhapsody. Archived from the original on 2010-11-25. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Robert Christgau: CG: Fugees". Robertchristgau.com. Archived from the original on 2012-06-14. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- The new Rolling Stone album guide - Nathan Brackett, Christian David Hoard - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- [dead link]
- Zywietz, Tobias. "Chart Log UK: Adam F. – FYA". Zobbel.de. Tobias Zywietz. Archived from the original on 2012-07-17. Retrieved May 31, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Fugees Chart History (Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Fugees – Chart History: Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "Fugees – Chart History: R&B/Hip-Hop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "Boof Baf [Vinyl Single] – Fugees > Overview". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Archived from the original on 2016-01-14. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- "French album certifications – Fugees – Blunted on Reality" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "British album certifications – Fugees – Blunted on Reality". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Blunted on Reality in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "Fugees – Chart History: Bubbling Under Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 20, 2013.