Blake Thomas Lalli (born May 12, 1983) is an American former professional baseball catcher and first baseman, former manager of the Kane County Cougars, and current manager of the Jackson Generals. He has also played in MLB for the Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee Brewers, and Atlanta Braves, and was a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks organization.
Lalli with the Peoria Chiefs in 2008
|First baseman / Catcher|
|Born: May 12, 1983|
|May 18, 2012, for the Chicago Cubs|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 29, 2016, for the Atlanta Braves|
|Runs batted in||5|
Lalli graduated from Pine-Richland High School in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, in 2001. He attended Gardner–Webb University from 2002 through 2006, where he played for the school's baseball team. Lalli was named to the All-Atlantic Sun Conference's first team as a third baseman in 2005 and as a catcher in 2006.
Undrafted out of college, Lalli signed with the Chicago Cubs as a free agent in 2006. He was named a Southern League All-Star in 2009, 2010, and 2011. The Cubs promoted Lalli to MLB on May 18, 2012, and he made his MLB debut that day. He became the first GWU alumni to appear in MLB.
On November 14, 2012, the Milwaukee Brewers signed Lalli to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. On April 9, 2013, Lalli's contract was purchased and he was added to the Major League roster by the Brewers. He was designated for assignment on September 19, 2013 and became a free agent on October 1.
Lalli signed a minor league deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks in October 2013. He became a minor league free agent after the 2014 season and on November 26, 2014, he signed a minor league deal to return with the team.
Second Stint With DiamondbacksEdit
For the 2018 season, Lalli was named the manager for the Kane County Cougars, the single-A affiliate of the Diamondbacks.. After one year in the Chicago suburbs, he left to become manager of the Jackson Generals for the 2019 season.
- <<<=theobj.bylinetime>>>. "Pine-Richland pals Neil Walker and Blake Lalli find way to Pirates, Cubs | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Catcher Lalli first GWU player ever to get 'The Call' from the Cubs | ever, contract, thousands - The Star Online: The Newspaper of Cleveland County". Shelbystar.com. Archived from the original on May 23, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2012.
- "Cubs select contract of Blake Lalli, Option Chris Volstad to Iowa | cubs.com: News". Chicago.cubs.mlb.com. May 18, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2012.
- foxsports (August 27, 2012). "Cubs, A's agree to Recker-Lalli deal". FOX Sports. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "October 2013 minor league transactions". Milb.com. February 28, 2017. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Blake Lalli celebrating AAA series win when called to big leagues". Ajc.com. September 11, 2016. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Minor League Transactions: May 13–19". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Transactions". Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Miles, Bruce (February 9, 2018). "Former Cubs catcher starting new chapter as manager of Kane County Cougars".