This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Blackshirts are members of the anti-religious, atheist quasi-political organization Dravidar Kazhagam in Tamil Nadu, founded by "Periyar" E V Ramasamy. Periyar wanted to uproot caste sentiments and superstitions prevalent in Tamil society. So, he chose the towel and to fight superstition, he chose the black shirt. The cadres of the Dravidian movement have followed it since. This has its origins in the banning of black flags as a protest tool in Tamil Nadu. To circumvent this ban, members wore black shirts. Black shirts and black flags were also seen as a symbol of anarchy in southern India especially in Tamil Nadu during the early 20th century.
- Nambi, Karthick (12 July 2019). "Black shirts and India". Medium. Retrieved 26 December 2020.
- Natarajan, Anand (15 October 2012). "It's not all black and white in TN dress politics". India Today. Retrieved 3 August 2020.
- "Atheist Blackshirts". The Anatomy Lesson. 17 December 2008. Retrieved 26 December 2020.
- Revenue officials launch `black-shirt' agitation
- Karunanidhi leads black shirt agitation
- Changing Mores of the Dravidian Movement
|This article about an Indian political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|