Black Moon Chronicles
|Black Moon Chronicles|
(Chroniques de la Lune Noire)
Volume 1, Le signe des Ténèbres (Sign of Darkness), showing the armies of the Order of Light, led by Fratus Sinister, under the Black Moon (which appears on all album covers)
|Publisher||Zenda Editions (1-4)|
|Formats||Original material for the series has been published as a set of graphic novels.|
|Publication date||May 1989 – April 2017|
|Number of issues||18|
|Artist(s)||Olivier Ledroit (1-5)|
Cyril Pontet (6-14)
|The series has been reprinted, at least in part, in Danish, Dutch, English, German, and Italian.|
Written by François Marcela-Froideval, the Black Moon Chronicles is an epic story offset by liberal doses of irreverent humour and the use of colloquial modern French over the archaic language usually found in such stories.
The series first episode was published in the late 80s. Following its long-lasting success in France, spin-off series were created to give more details on the background of some key characters.
Episode 5 was the last volume drawn by Olivier Ledroit, who was replaced by Cyril Pontet for the rest of the series. Ledroit was still kept on drawing the remaining album covers.
The 14th and final album of the series was released on 21 November 2008.
- Wismerhill (from "Whispers Hill") - The main character, half-dark elven, with an unknown past and an extraordinary destiny.
- Haazel Thorn / The Black Moon - An archmage, claiming to be a god, who extends his power through his own religion. Plots to destroy the Empire of Hagendorf.
- Hagendorf - The current Emperor of Lyhnn, warned by The Oracle about the coming of the "Metal Hound" who will overthrow him.
- Frater Sinister (also called Fratus) - Leader of the Order of Light. Also plots to overthrow the Emperor.
- Prince Parsifal - Commander of the Knights of Justice, devoted to God, allied to the Empire.
- Methraton - The Ultimate Mage, enemy of the gods and ally of Wismerhill. Subject of its own spin-off series, Methraton.
Associates of Wismerhill (more developed in the spin-off series Black Moon Arcanas):
- Hellaynnea - A female demon (succubus), who becomes Wismerhill's new lover.
- Gorghor Bey - A gigantic half-ogre, an impressive mass of muscle and brutality.
- Pile-ou-Face - An elven warrior with two magical, intelligent swords (Nepher and Bepher).
- Murata - A samurai.
- Shamballeau - A mage.
- Pepette - A girl, only person who can control Goum.
- Goum - Pepette's enchanted (and powerful) brother.
- Feidreiva or Fey - A female-elf archer, 1st love of Wismerhill.
0. En un jeu cruel (2011)
- Le Signe des Ténèbres (Sign of Darkness, 1989)
- Le Vent des Dragons (Dragons Wind, 1990)
- La marque des démons (Mark of the Demons, 1991)
- Quand sifflent les Serpents (When Snakes Whistle, 1992)
- La danse écarlate (The Blood Dance, 1994)
- La Couronne des Ombres (Crown of Shadows, 1995)
- De Vents, de Jade et de Jais (Of Wind, Jade and Jet, 1997)
- Le Glaive de justice (Sword of Justice, 1999)
- Les Chants de la négation (Songs of Negation, 2000)
- L'Aigle foudroyé (Struck Down Eagle, 2002)
- Ave Tenebrae (Ave Tenebrae, 2003)
- La Porte des Enfers (The Door to Hell, 2005)
- La Prophétie (Prophecy, 2006)
- La Fin des Temps (End of Times, 2008)
- Terra Secunda (Livre 1/2, 2012)
- Terra Secunda (Livre 2/2, 2014)
- Guerres ophidiennes (2015)
- Le trône d'Opale (2017)
- Une semaine ordinaire (2018)
Black Moon Arcanas (Les Arcanes de la Lune Noire)Edit
Each album tells the story of one of the key characters in the main series. Story by Froideval but each tome has a different artist.
- Ghorghor Bey (with Ledroit, 2001)
- Pile-ou-Face (with Fabrice Angleraud, 2007)
- Parsifal (with Fabrice Angleraud, 2010)
- Greldinard (with Manuel Morgado, 2017)
Spin-off dedicated to the mysterious Ultimate Mage helping the hero of the Black Moon Chronicles, by Froideval and Fabrice Druet.
- Le Serpent (The Snake, 2001)
- Le Crane (The Skull, 2003)
- Pharaon (Pharaoh, 2006)
In other mediaEdit
The saga is also the subject of a miniature game and a RTS videogame both of the same name. A massive online role playing game, Black Moon Chronicles - Winds of War, was cancelled before finishing production. The Beta game testing client is available for free on Fileplanet.
In January 2007 the Company AmalGame-Online Inc. restarted developing on Black Moon Chronicles - Winds of War. Official Homepage The open beta started at the end of February 2008. The game was officially launched on May 14, 2008.
In March 2012 Amando Blasco from Bruma Studios acquired "BlackMoon Chronicles - Winds of War" from Amalgame-Online, restarting the development of the game and opening a public beta server.
- "Chroniques de la Lune Noire: Le Retour des Dieux" Archived July 9, 2009, at the Wayback Machine (in French). Asmodee Editions. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- "Black Moon Chronicles" Archived March 20, 2016, at the Wayback Machine MobyGames. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
- "Black Moon Chronicles: Winds Of War" Archived March 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- "Black Moon Chronicles: Winds of War Client". Fileplanet. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- "Official Launch of BlackMoon Chronicles -Winds of War" Archived July 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Forums BlackMoon Chronicles - Winds Of War. May 6, 2008. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
-  Blackmoon Chronicles - Windows of War Acquired by Amando Blasco from Bruma Studios
- Black Moon Chronicles at Bedetheque (in French)