The BlackBerry Leap is a Smartphone developed by BlackBerry Limited. Announced on March 3, 2015 at the Mobile World Congress with initial availability in April 2015, the Leap is a follow-on to the affordable Z3 model with a number of upgraded features. Upgrades include LTE support, higher-resolution display and cameras, higher-performance CPU and GPU, double the internal storage capacity, and ships with the latest version of the BlackBerry 10 operating system. Size and weight increased very slightly from the Z3 model.
|Slogan||"Power to Succeed"|
|Related||BlackBerry Z3 BlackBerry Z10 BlackBerry Z30|
|Dimensions||144 mm (5.7 in) H
72.8 mm (2.87 in) W
9.5 mm (0.37 in) D
|Weight||170 g (6.00 oz)|
|Operating system||BlackBerry 10.3.1|
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus|
|CPU||Krait, 1.5 GHz dual-core|
|Memory||2 GB RAM|
|Storage||16 GB internal storage|
|Removable storage||Up to 128 GB microSDXC|
|Battery||2800 mAH non removable battery|
|Data inputs||Multi-touch touchscreen|
|Rear camera||8 megapixels, 1080p video capture, autofocus, Digital Image Stabilization|
|Front camera||2 megapixels, 720p video capture|
Ambient light sensor
According to BlackBerry product designers, key design criteria for the Leap include solid single-body construction, edge-to-edge glass, straightforward SIM/SD card exchange and ease of repairability. Special attention is paid to aesthetic details such as the texture and grip of the covering, laser-cut speaker ports, and the overall look of the white-colored model.
BlackBerry announced the global rollout of the Leap on April 15 2015, with immediate availability via various resellers in the UK market. By April 22 2015, customers in the French, German and US markets were able to order the Leap via either Amazon.com, BlackBerry Ltd's "Shop BlackBerry" website, or certain local resellers. Releases for other markets including Canada, India, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia have since been made as well.
- "BlackBerry Leap Press Release". BlackBerry Ltd. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry Leap specifications". BlackBerry Ltd. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry Leap Behind-the-Scenes Design Story". N4BB. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry Announces Global Rollout of BlackBerry Leap". Blackberry.com. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry Leap Preview". Cnet. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry Leap hands on". fonearena. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry Leap Hands-on". Mobile Syrup. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry Leap: hands-on at MWC 2015 (Video)". pocketnow. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry aims at young professionals with the low-cost Leap". engadget. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry Leap is the 5-inch HD touchscreen smartphone you didn't see coming". Pocket-lint. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "BlackBerry Leaps Back to Touchscreens With New Phone at Mobile World Congress". ABC News. Retrieved 6 April 2015.