Biswanath Dash (8 March 1889 – 2 June 1984) was a politician, lawyer and philanthropist from India. He was the Prime Minister of Odisha Province of British India 1937–39, the Governor of Uttar Pradesh 1962–67 and later the Chief Minister of Odisha 1971–72.
|7th Chief Minister of Odisha|
3 April 1971 – 14 June 1972
|Governor||Shaukatullah Shah Ansari|
Sardar Jojendra Singh (Acting)
|Preceded by||President's Rule|
|Succeeded by||Nandini Satpathy|
|Governor of Uttar Pradesh|
16 April 1962 – 30 April 1967
|Preceded by||Burgula Ramakrishna Rao|
|Succeeded by||Bezawada Gopala Reddy|
|Prime Minister of Odisha|
19 July 1937 – 4 November 1939
|Preceded by||Captain Krishna Chandra Gajapati Narayan Deo|
|Succeeded by||Governor's rule|
|Born||8 March 1889|
Belagan, Ganjam district, Madras Presidency, British India
|Died||2 June 1984 (aged 95)|
Cuttack, Odisha, India
|Political party||United Front|
|Residence||Kaji Bazar, Cuttack|
|Alma mater||Ravenshaw College|
Biswanath Dash supported the Indian independence movement from both Odisha and Uttar Pradesh. He was a member of the legislative council of Madras Province from 1921 to 1930. He was instrumental in the creation of a separate state for the Odia-speaking people. After the separation of Odisha on 1 April 1936 he became its Prime Minister (Premier) on 19 July 1937. He became a member of the Constituent Assembly of India in 1946 representing Orissa. He served as the Governor of Uttar Pradesh from 16 April 1962 to 30 April 1967. In 1966, he was made the President of Servants of the People Society (Lok Sevak Mandal founded by Lala Lajpat Rai). After the Odisha Vidhan Sabha election in 1971, the Utkal Congress, the Swatantra Party and the Jharkhand Party formed a United Front and he became the Chief Minister of the United Front government, in Odisha. He was in office from 3 April 1971 to 14 June 1972.
- Das, B.; Rath, S.N. (1990). Biswanath Das, a tribute: published on the occasion of Biswanath Das Birth Centenary Celebration held under the auspices of the Utkal University. Dept. of Political Science, Utkal University. p. 19. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- Orissa State Archives (1997). Reflections on the National Movement in Orissa. Orissa State Archives. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- Bureau, OB (26 November 2019). "Know Odisha Greats Who Helped Frame India's Constitution - ODISHA BYTES". ODISHA BYTES. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
As members of the Constituent Assembly, several eminent personalities from Odisha too had made seminal contributions to the historic event on November 26, 1949.These included Biswanath Dash, Bichitrananda Das, Sarangadhar Das,...
- Orissa State Museum (1993). The Orissa Historical Research Journal. Superintendent of Research and Museum. p. 46. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
- A short biography by Gurukalyan Mahapatra in the Orissa Review, January 2006.
- About Shri Biswanath Dash, Governor of Uttar Pradesh.
- Allahabad High Court By Justice Shiva Nath Katju.
|This article about a politician from Odisha is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|