Birsingha is a large village located in Ghatal Block of Paschim Medinipur district, West Bengal. Birsingha village is famous for the birthplace of the great Bengali social reformer and the author of Varna Parichay Pandit Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar.
|Elevation||19 m (62 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Ghatal|
Birsingha is located at.
Ghatal subdivision, shown in the map alongside, has alluvial soils. Around 85% of the total cultivated area is cropped more than once. It has a density of population of 1,099 per km2, but being a small subdivision only a little over a fifth of the people in the district reside in this subdivision. 14.33% of the population lives in urban areas and 86.67% lives in the rural areas.
Note: The map alongside presents some of the notable locations in the subdivision. All places marked in the map are linked in the larger full screen map.
According to the 2011 Census of India, Birsingha had a total population of 3,026, of which 1,588 (52%) were males and 1,438 (48%) were females. There were 342 persons in the age range of 0–6 years. The total number of literate persons in Birsingha was 2,343 (87.30% of the population over 6 years).
Birsingha Bhagabati Vidyalaya is the oldest school in this area. Birsingha Vidyasagar Balika Vidyapith is a Bengali-medium girls' only institution established in 1971. The school has facilities for teaching from class V to class X. It has a library with 200 books and 15 computers. It is housed in a government building.
Birsingha Primary School was established in 1929.
Vidyasagar Block Primary Health Centre, with 10 beds at Birsingha, is the major government medical facility in the Ghatal CD block.
- "জন্মদিনে সম্মান জানাতে বদল চায় বিদ্যাসাগরের গ্রাম".
- Murshid, Ghulam. "Vidyasagar, Pundit Iswar Chandra". Banglapedia. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- "Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar". www.whereincity.com. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- "District Human Development Report Paschim Medinipur, 2011". page 27-28. Department of Planning and Statistics, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- "District Statistical Handbook Paschim Medinipur, 2013". Table 2.2, 2.4 (a). Department of Planning and Statistics. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- "CD block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". West Bengal – District-wise CD blocks. Registrar General and Census, India. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- "BIRSINGHA BHAGABATI VIDYALAYA - Sultanpur-1, District Paschim Medinipur (West Bengal)". schools.org.in. Retrieved 1 June 2022.
- "Birsingha V.B. Vidyapith U. Pry". Schools.org. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- "Birsingha Pry". Schools.org. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- "Health & Family Welfare Department" (PDF). Health Statistics – Block Primary Health Centres. Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 1 September 2020.