Birmingham All Saints (UK Parliament constituency)
Birmingham All Saints was a parliamentary constituency in the city of Birmingham, which returned one Member of Parliament (MP) to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Elections were held using the first-past-the-post voting system.
|Birmingham All Saints|
|Former Borough constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Birmingham Ladywood|
|Created from||Birmingham Ladywood and Birmingham Handsworth|
The constituency was created in 1955 and abolished in 1974.
The County Borough of Birmingham wards of All Saints, Rotton Park, and Soho.
Before this seat's creation in 1955 the area (part of the city of Birmingham in the geographic county of Warwickshire) was divided between Birmingham Ladywood (All Saints and Rotton Park wards) and Birmingham Handsworth (Soho ward).
The seat was located in the west of the central part of the city, within its boundaries in 1955. To the west was Smethwick, to the north Birmingham Handsworth, to the east Birmingham Ladywood and to the south Birmingham Edgbaston.
In the 1974 redistribution, this constituency disappeared. The three wards which had comprised the seat were added to Ladywood ward to form the redrawn Birmingham Ladywood constituency; this seat's last MP, Labour's Brian Walden, contested and won the new Ladywood seat.
Members of ParliamentEdit
|Feb 1974||constituency abolished|
Elections in the 1950sEdit
|Conservative||Francis J Williams||17,560||48.2||n/a|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+1.8|
Elections in the 1960sEdit
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+0.8|
Elections in the 1970sEdit
|Liberal||Dennis G Minnis||2,271||10.3||n/a|
- British Parliamentary Election Results 1950-1973, FWS Craig
- The Times House of Commons, 1950-70
- Boundaries of Parliamentary Constituencies 1885-1972, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Reference Publications 1972)
- British Parliamentary Election Results 1950-1973, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Research Services 1983)
- Who's Who of British Members of Parliament, Volume IV 1945-1979, edited by M. Stenton and S. Lees (Harvester Press 1981)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "A" (part 1)