Bigpoint GmbH is a German video game developer. The company develops stand-alone browser-based games as well as social network games. Bigpoint has over 200 million registered users (announced in June 2011).[2] states that 337,104,419 players are registered in the top right corner, as of 10/10/13. NBCU has featured some of Bigpoint's games on the websites of some of its cable channels.

Bigpoint GmbH
IndustryBrowser games
FounderHeiko Hubertz
Key people
Wanqin Liu, Michelle Zou (Managing Director)
Number of employees
100[1] (2023)
ParentYouzu Interactive
WebsiteOfficial page

In addition to its headquarters in Hamburg, Germany, Bigpoint maintains offices in Berlin, San Francisco, Malta and São Paulo.[3] Some of the company's games include Battlestar Galactica Online, Farmerama, Drakensang Online, DarkOrbit and Seafight. The studio was acquired by Youzu Interactive in 2016 and continues to operate as an independent subsidiary.[4]

History edit

In 2002, the company was founded by Heiko Hubertz as m.wire GmbH in Hamburg, Germany's second largest city.[5][6] Heiko Hubertz started this company with a football management game in which every player transfer would cost a small amount for famous football players. Bigpoint's first game was Icefighter, an ice hockey management simulation. Till the end of 2004 there were further games launched, "F1Manager" and "Fussballmanager" (Football Manager in German). In 2005 the company was renamed to e-sport GmbH. In 2006 Samwer brothers with European Founders Fund and beginning of 2007 United Internet invested in the company. The company quickly expanded, having one million registered users in 2006. By 2007, Bigpoint was running 22 browser games.

In June 2008, General Electric and NBC Universal, along with European private-equity group GMT Communications Partners, bought out a 70 percent share of Bigpoint,[7] leaving the remaining 30 percent share under Heiko Hubertz's control.

By 2009, Bigpoint reached more than 100 million users and had a revenue of more than 50 million Euros.

On April 26, 2011, TA Associates and Summit Partners invested $350 million into Bigpoint to become the majority shareholders. On May 16, 2011, Bigpointdotcom posted a video on announcing their new office building. Previous shareholders Comcast Interactive Capital's Peacock Equity Fund sold their holdings in this transaction. GMT Communications Partners and GE sold a majority of their stakes. Hubertz retained his existing ownership stake in the company.[8]

In May 2011, Bigpoint had more than 800 employees worldwide.[9]

On October 23, 2012, Bigpoint laid off 120 staff members. At the same time Heiko Hubertz stepped down as CEO.[10]

In March 2016, the developer was acquired by Youzu Interactive (GTArcade) in an €80 million ($89.68 million) stock buyout.[4]

Used technology edit

Games are developed using PHP, Adobe Flash, Java and the Unity engine.

List of games developed by Bigpoint edit

List of games published by Bigpoint edit

References edit

  1. ^ Fröhlich, Petra (16 January 2023). "Die größten Games-Studios in Deutschland 2023 (Update)" [The largest game studios in Germany in 2023 (update)]. GamesWirtschaft (in German). Archived from the original on 21 January 2023. Retrieved 21 January 2023.
  2. ^ Bigpoint Surpasses 200 Million Gamers Worldwide, Bigpoint, June 20, 2011, archived from the original on September 19, 2011, retrieved June 22, 2011
  3. ^ Bigpoint, Europe's Leading Multiplayer Game Publisher, Expands Into US Market With Rapid-Fire Launch Schedule, Marketwire, December 3, 2008, archived from the original on September 2, 2023, retrieved January 4, 2009
  4. ^ a b Takahashi, Dean (Mar 22, 2016). "China's Youzu Interactive buys German online game developer Bigpoint for $89.7M". VentureBeat. Archived from the original on April 20, 2016. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
  5. ^ "Heiko Hubertz, Bigpoint GmbH: Profile and Biography". Archived from the original on 2022-03-31. Retrieved 2021-01-28.
  6. ^ "Heiko Hubertz - News & Infos von Business Insider". Business Insider (in German). Archived from the original on 2021-01-17. Retrieved 2021-01-28.
  7. ^ Szalai, Georg (June 12, 2008), "Peacock Fund Takes Bigpoint Stake", The Hollywood Reporter, archived from the original on January 8, 2010, retrieved February 3, 2009
  8. ^ Online Games Leader Bigpoint Announces Summit Partners and TA Associates to Make $350 Million Investment, Bigpoint, April 26, 2011, archived from the original on September 19, 2011, retrieved June 22, 2011
  9. ^ Gaudiosi, John. "German Game Maker Bigpoint Focuses on Booming Browser-Based Market". Forbes. Archived from the original on 2022-03-31. Retrieved 2021-01-28.
  10. ^ Bigpoint cuts 120 jobs, CEO leaves role,, Aug 27, 2013, archived from the original on 2021-08-06, retrieved 2013-08-27

External links edit