This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Robert Edward McCracken (born February 25, 1982) is an American singer who is best known as the lead vocalist and songwriter of the American rock band The Used.
|Birth name||Robert Edward McCracken|
|Born||February 25, 1982|
Provo, Utah, U.S.
|Associated acts||The Used, Goldfinger, My Chemical Romance|
McCracken was born in Provo, Utah and grew up in Orem, Utah, and was raised in a Mormon family. He has three sisters (Katie, Melanie, Rachel) and one younger brother (Joseph Taylor). McCracken has stated that he read quite vigorously growing up, due to the influence of his mother, who was a schoolteacher. At age 12, he started playing the trumpet in a local band called "I'm With Stupid". He attended Timpanogos High School for a brief time, before dropping out at 16.
Eldest son of the household, Bert enjoyed a happy home life as a child, but as he grew into a teenager his and his parents' views conflicted. He rebelled against his parents and against their Mormon religion. He dropped out of high school; soon after, he left his home at the age of 16. For some time he was homeless until he found enough money for an apartment, moving in with then-girlfriend Kate.
In January 2001, when the band called Dumb Luck (which later became The Used, then consisting of Quinn, Jeph and Branden) were looking for a singer, Quinn remembered Bert and he was invited to try out. After being given music that the band had written without words, Bert wrote the lyrics to what would become "Maybe Memories" and returned the next day with a newly recorded version of the song. The band welcomed him immediately, and renamed themselves "Used". They were eventually discovered by John Feldmann and signed to Reprise Records; they became "The Used" when it was discovered that a Boston band had already trademarked the name "Used". On June 25, 2002 they released their self-titled debut album.
In July 2008, McCracken married his Australian fiancée, Allison, at a private ceremony in Los Angeles. In July 2013 he announced that he and his wife had relocated from Los Angeles to Sydney, Australia, where their first daughter, Cleo Rose McCracken, was born in January of 2014. Their second child, Minerva “Minnie” Bloom McCracken was born March 23rd, 2018. 
McCracken has struggled with drug addiction and alcoholism in the past, the former referenced in the song "Bulimic" on The Used's self-titled album. However, he has since overcome his addictions, being sober since 2012.
Bert McCracken has voiced his support for Palestine alongside being critical of aspects of contemporary American culture and society, such as the influence of larger corporations on the music industry; which partly prompted his move to Australia in 2013. His political views were also influential in the lyrical content of The Used's 2014 album Imaginary Enemy.
|"Happy Christmas (War Is Over)"
(Street Drum Corps featuring Bert McCracken)
|2005||Taste of Christmas|
|"Spokesman"||2002||Goldfinger||Open Your Eyes||Additional vocals|
|"Open Your Eyes"|
|"You Know What They Do to Guys Like Us in Prison"||2004||My Chemical Romance||Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge|
|"Ocean Size"||2005||Goldfinger||Disconnection Notice|
|"At Least I'm Good at Something"||2006||The Distance||The Rise and Fall and Everything in Between||Guest|
|"Handjobs for Jesus"||2008||Goldfinger||Hello Destiny||Additional vocals|
|"Days Are Numbered"||2013||Black Veil Brides||Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones|
|2004||Punk Rock Holocaust||Himself|
|2007||Punk's Not Dead||Himself||Documentary film|
|2013||Black Veil Brides in the Studio: The Making of Wretched & Divine||Himself||Documentary film|
|2002–03||The Osbournes||Himself||2 episodes|
- "The Used's Bert McCracken on Time, Philosophy + More". Loudwire.
- "The Used's Bert McCracken on Time, Philosophy + More". Loudwire. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Now That The Used Are No Longer Using, Life Is 'Unreal'". MTV News. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "The Used's Bert McCracken: "I'm brave, courageous, courteous, careful, loyal, thrifty and kind"". FasterLouder. April 24, 2014. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "I'm Out Of My Head!". www.blender.com.
- "The Used's Bert McCracken Discusses Losing A Loved One To Drugs, Overcoming Substance Abuse - Theprp.com". September 1, 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 25, 2018. Retrieved February 24, 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Imaginary Enemy Album Booklet
- "r/Music - We're Bert, Jeph, Quinn + Dan, AKA - The Used. Ask us anything!". reddit.
- Loudwire (June 19, 2015). "The Used on Quinn Allman's Hiatus + Band's Future Goals" – via YouTube.
- "Bert McCracken of The Used is Mad as Hell and He's Not Gonna Take It Anymore". April 21, 2014.
- "The Used's Bert McCracken has powerful words about life and death - Alternative Press". October 26, 2017.
- "The Used's Bert McCracken Talks Suicide & Loss, How It Influenced New Album 'The Canyon'".
- "Happy Xmas (War Is Over) – Single". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Bert McCracken|