Benin at the 2000 Summer Paralympics
Benin made its Paralympic Games début at the 2000 Summer Paralympics in Sydney. It sent a single athlete, blind runner Edouard Agboessi, to compete in athletics. Agboessi failed to make it out of the heats in the men's 100 m T11 event.
|Benin at the|
2000 Summer Paralympics
|NPC||Federation Handisport du Benin-Comité National Paralympique|
|Competitors||1 in 1 sport|
|Summer Paralympics appearances|
Benin made their Paralympic debut at the 2000 Games. The country sent a single athlete, blind runner Edouard Agboessi, to compete in athletics. Agboessi would later be a member the Benin vision impaired organization, "Réseau des associations des personnes handicapées de l'Atlantique et du Littoral (Raphal)". He was part of 2015 efforts to encourage people with disabilities to vote in upcoming elections.
Agboessi ran in the first heat of his event, against Julio Requena of Spain and Aina Onja of Madagascar, with Cuba's Jorge Jay Masso being a non-starter. Agboessi's time of 13.42 was faster than Onja's (13.98), but slower than Requena's (12.50), and too slow to advance to the next round. Requena was the slowest qualifier.
|Edouard Agboessi||Athletics||Men's 100 m T11||13.42||2nd in heat 1;|
did not advance
- "Benin Paralympics - Rio 2016 Medals, Athletes & News". m.paralympic.org. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Benin Paralympic Committee launch talent identification programme". Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- LAUFF, JACKIE (2007). "DEVELOPING COUNTRY PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL DISABILITY SPORT COMPETITION: A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE" (PDF). Masters Thesis. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 October 2016.
- Benin at the 2000 Summer Paralympics, International Paralympic Committee
- "Participation des personnes handicapées aux présidentielles de 2016 : l'Ong Rifonga poursuit ses séances de sensibilisation". Retrieved 27 October 2016.
|This article about sports in Benin is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 2000 Summer Paralympics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|