|• Mayor||Jordi Estiarte Berenguer (2019) (ERC) |
|• Total||35.0 km2 (13.5 sq mi)|
|Elevation||308 m (1,010 ft)|
|• Density||140/km2 (370/sq mi)|
Nowadays Bellpuig is the third most important town in the area of Urgell. The town, located between the three little hills appearing in the flag, is served by Bellpuig railway station.
Bellpuig in 1487 was the birthplace of Ramón de Cardona, Baron of Bellpuig, Count of Alvito and Duke of Somma (in Catalan Ramon Folc III de Cardona-Anglesola). He was a Catalan general of the Holy League troops and viceroy of Naples from 1509 to 1522. His funeral monument is in Bellpuig, where the body was transported nine years after his death on March 10, 1522. The monument was designed and built by Giovanni da Nola and Genoese master sculptors, it is one of the most important examples of Renaissance art in Spain.
The Festival of the Verge dels Dolors takes place every year and includes a religious procession. This celebration is more than 300 years old.
- Bormio, Italy
- "Ajuntament de Bellpuig". Generalitat of Catalonia. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "El municipi en xifres: Bellpuig". Statistical Institute of Catalonia. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- Municipal Register of Spain 2018. National Statistics Institute.
- King, Georgiana Goddard (July 1921). "The Cardona Tomb at Bellpuig". American Journal of Archaeology. 25 (3): 279–288. doi:10.2307/497804. JSTOR 497804.
- Government data pages (in Catalan)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bellpuig.|
|This Province of Lleida location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|