Belarusfilm, under the name Belgoskino was founded in 1924. (American – «Universal Pictures», «Keystone Studios», «Paramount», «Metro Goldwyn Mayer», «Fox Film Corporation», «First National Pictures», «Educational Pictures», «Columbia Pictures», «Warner Bros», «Bray Productions», «Film Booking Offices of America», French – «Pathé», «Gaumont», Belarusian – «Belgoskino») In 1928, the Soviet Belarus studio (Савецкая Беларусь) was founded in Leningrad. The studio was moved to Minsk in 1939. Film production was interrupted by World War II, and restarted in 1946, when the studio assumed its current name.
In Soviet times, the studio was dubbed Partizanfilm, due to the large output of films portraying the Soviet partisan's struggle against Nazi occupation. The studio was, however, also renowned for its children's films.
The studio has to date made 131 animated films. Its first project was a coproduction with Soyuzmultfilm in 1963; a stop motion feature film called Attention! The Magician is in the City! Consistent animated film production, however, did not begin until 1972.
Among the early, Soviet-era directors who oversaw films for the studio are: Alexander Faintsimmer, Oleg Frelikh, Vladimir Gardin, Vladimir Korsh-Sablin, Grigori Roshal, Boris Shpis, Yuri Tarich and Mikhail Verner.
- 1926 Tale of the Woods or Forest Story
- 1927 Prostitute
- 1928 Kastus Kalinovsky
- 1928 His Excellency
- 1929 See You Tomorrow
- 1930 Hatred
- 1930 Sasha
- 1933 The Return of Nathan Becker
- 1933 The First Platoon
- 1934 Lieutenant Kijie
- 1936 Late for a Date
- 1936 Seekers of Happiness
- 1937 Beethoven Concerto
- 1938 The Bear
- 1938 Men of the Sea a.k.a. Baltic Sailors
- 1953 The Skylarks are Singing
- 1959 A Girl Searches for Her Father
- 1972 Fakir Hour
- 1975 The Adventures of Buratino
- 1976 Secret to the Whole World
- 1977 About Red Riding Hood
- 1985 Come and See
- "Official site". Archived from the original on 2018-12-18. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- Huzhalouski, Alexander (2011). "Cinema in Belarus Under the Pressure of Censorship 1924–41". Studies in Russian and Soviet Cinema. 5 (2): 169–180.
- Great Soviet Encyclopedia (in Russian) (3rd ed.). Moscow: Sovetskaya Enciklopediya. 1970. vol. 3, p. 99.
- Chronological list of Belarusfilm animated films at animator.ru
- Attention! The Magician is in the City! at animator.ru
- Official site
- Belarusfilm (Soviet studio) on IMDb
- Belarusfilm (Republic of Belarus studio) on IMDb
- Museum of the History of Belarusian Film
- Tourist site description of Museum of Belarusian Film (has photos)
- British Film Insititute
- In Soviet Times, Belgoskino was not afraid to experiment