Behind the High Wall
|Behind the High Wall|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Abner Biberman|
|Produced by||Stanley Rubin|
|Screenplay by||Harold Jack Bloom|
|Story by||Richard K. Polimer|
|Edited by||Ted J. Kent|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
It featured an early performance by John Gavin who had just signed with Universal. It was sometimes referred to as his first film although he had appeared in Raw Edge under another name. In February 1956 it was said "John Gilmore" was in the film but in the credits he is called "John Gavin".
Inmates pull a prison break, taking the warden and another prisoner as hostages. But when the car gets into a crash, killing the others, the warden makes off with the gang's loot and places the blame on the other hostage.
- Tom Tully as Warden Carmichael
- Sylvia Sidney as Hilda Carmichael
- Betty Lynn as Anne MacGregor
- John Gavin as Johnny Hutchins
- Don Beddoe as Todd MacGregor
- John Larch as William Kiley
- Barney Phillips as Tom Renolds
- Ed Kemmer as Charlie Rains
- John Beradino as Carl Burkhardt
- Rayford Barnes as George Miller
- Nicky Blair as Roy Burkhardt
- David Garcia as Morgan
- Peter Leeds as First Detective
- James Hyland as Second Detective (as Jim Hyland)
- Drama: Third Cagney Subject Developed by Writer; Stevens Slates 'Feud' Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 22 June 1956: 23.
- LONDON STAGE HIT BOUGHT FOR FILM: 'Summer of the Seventeenth Doll' Sold to Hecht--John Gavin Gets Starring Role Cast in 'Time to Love' Columbia Jobs Shifted By THOMAS M. PRYOR Special to The New York Times.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 17 July 1957: 21.
- Drama: 'Old Man and Sea' Youth Quest Slated Los Angeles Times 1 Feb 1956: 17.