Before We Vanish
Before We Vanish (散歩する侵略者 Sanpo Suru Shinryakusha, transl. "Strolling Invaders") is a 2017 Japanese science fiction film directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. It stars Masami Nagasawa, Ryuhei Matsuda, Mahiro Takasugi, Yuri Tsunematsu, and Hiroki Hasegawa. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival. It was released in Japan on 9 September 2017.
|Before We Vanish|
|Directed by||Kiyoshi Kurosawa|
|Based on||Sanpo Suru Shinryakusha|
by Tomohiro Maekawa
|Music by||Yusuke Hayashi|
|Edited by||Koichi Takahashi|
Three aliens come to Earth to prepare for a mass invasion. To learn the concepts such as "family", "property", "labor", and "freedom", the aliens steal them from the human being.
Meanwhile, Sakurai (Hiroki Hasegawa), who is a journalist, encounters Amano (Mahiro Takasugi) and Akira (Yuri Tsunematsu), whose bodies have been taken over by the aliens. He joins them to be their guide.
- Masami Nagasawa as Narumi Kase
- Ryuhei Matsuda as Shinji Kase
- Hiroki Hasegawa as Sakurai
- Mahiro Takasugi as Amano
- Yuri Tsunematsu as Akira Tachibana
- Atsuko Maeda as Asumi Kase
- Shinnosuke Mitsushima as Maruo
- Kazuya Kojima as Detective Kurumada
- Ken Mitsuishi as Suzuki
- Masahiro Higashide as a pastor
- Kyōko Koizumi as a doctor
- Takashi Sasano as Shinagawa
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 79%, based on 48 reviews, and an average rating of 6.48/10. The website's critical consensus states, "Before We Vanish finds Kiyoshi Kurosawa working within well-established genre guidelines to take a poignant, surprisingly sincere look at the human condition." On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating, the film has a score 64 out of 100, based on 14 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Stephen Dalton of The Hollywood Reporter said, "Perpetually shifting gear between playful sci-fi pastiche, quirky rom-com and apocalyptic thriller, Before We Vanish might have worked better as a single dedicated genre, but it becomes a little scrambled trying to cover several at once." Meanwhile, Maggie Lee of Variety said, "Playing frequently like an absurdist political satire with only flashes of violence, this low-tension, drawn-out work won't gratify the chills or adrenaline rushes fanboys crave, but the ending strikes a romantic chord so pure that all but the most jaded cynics will be moved."
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Japan Academy Film Prize||2 March 2018||Director of the Year||Kiyoshi Kurosawa||Nominated|
|Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role||Masami Nagasawa||Nominated|
|Tokyo Sports Film Award||25 February 2018||Best Actress||Masami Nagasawa||Won|
|Mainichi Film Awards||15 February 2018||Best Actress||Masami Nagasawa||Won|
|Best New Actor||Mahiro Takasugi||Won|
- "The 2017 Official Selection". Cannes. 13 April 2017. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "2017 Cannes Film Festival Announces Lineup: Todd Haynes, Sofia Coppola, 'Twin Peaks' and More". IndieWire. 13 April 2017. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "「散歩する侵略者」松田龍平が黒沢清に「宇宙人みたい」と言われた過去明かす". 映画ナタリー. 9 September 2017. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "松田龍平が17年ぶりのカンヌに緊張！長谷川博己、黒沢清と舞台挨拶". 映画ナタリー. 23 May 2017. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Before We Vanish (Sanpo Suru Shinryakusha) (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Before We Vanish Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Dalton, Stephen (22 May 2017). "'Before We Vanish': Film Review - Cannes 2017". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- Lee, Maggie (24 May 2017). "Cannes Film Review: 'Before We Vanish'". Variety. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "日本アカデミー賞優秀賞発表 『関ヶ原』『三度目の殺人』が最多10部門受賞". Oricon News. 15 January 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "ビートたけしの東スポ映画大賞に長澤まさみら登壇、話題賞・香取慎吾「次は映画で！」". 映画ナタリー. 26 February 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "毎日映画コンクールで大林宣彦「花筐」が大賞！菅田将暉＆長澤まさみが主演賞に". 映画ナタリー. 18 January 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "「散歩する侵略者」スピンオフ「予兆」、ファンの声を受けて劇場公開決定！". 映画.com. 6 October 2017. Retrieved 12 October 2019.