This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Beckman Coulter Inc., is a Danaher Corporation company that develops, manufactures and markets products that simplify, automate and innovate complex biomedical testing. It is operating in two industries: Diagnostics and Life Sciences. With a history of more than 80 years the company helps healthcare and laboratory professionals, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, universities, medical schools, and research institutions worldwide.
Beckman Coulter headquarters in Brea
|Subsidiary of Danaher Corporation - Acquisition in 2011|
|Industry||Scientific instruments, Medical Devices|
|Founded||Pasadena, California (1935, as National Technical Laboratories)|
|Founder||Arnold O. Beckman|
|Headquarters||Brea, California, United States|
|Christopher Riley, President Diagnostics, Greg Milosevich, President Life Sciences|
|Products||Biomek platforms, Synchron/AU analyzers, IRIS Immunochemistry system, VERIS, DxI immunoassay instruments, DxC chemistry instruments, DxH hematology instruments, Hemoccult, CEQ 2000 DNA Analysis System, Flow cytometers, Ultracentrifuge, Laboratory centrifuge|
|Revenue||US$3.66B (FY 2010)|
|US$405M (FY 2010)|
|US$231M (FY 2010)|
|Total assets||US$4.88B (FY 2010)|
|Total equity||US$2.13B (FY 2010)|
Number of employees
Founded by Caltech professor Arnold O. Beckman in 1935 as National Technical Laboratories to commercialize a pH meter that he had invented, the company eventually grew to employ over 12,000 people, with $5.8 billion in annual sales by 2017. Its current headquarters are in Brea, California. Beckman Coulter was acquired by Danaher Corporation in 2011.
In the 1940s, Beckman changed the name to Arnold O. Beckman, Inc. to sell oxygen analyzers, the Helipot precision potentiometer, and spectrophotometers. In the 1950s, the company name changed to Beckman Instruments, Inc.
In 1955, Beckman established the seminal Shockley Semiconductor Laboratory as a division of Beckman Instruments to begin commercializing the semiconductor transistor technology invented by Caltech alumnus William Shockley. Because Shockley's aging mother lived in Palo Alto, California, the Shockley Laboratory was established in nearby Mountain View, California, and thus, "Silicon Valley" was born.
In 1961, Beckman acquired Offner Electronics, a company founded by inventor Franklin F. Offner.
In 1982, the company merged into SmithKline to form SmithKline Beckman, with Arnold Beckman as vice chairman, but regained its independence in 1989 after SmithKline merged with Beecham Group to form SmithKline Beecham (now part of GlaxoSmithKline).
In 1995, the company acquired Hybritech, Inc. from Eli Lilly.
In 1996, the company acquired the Sanofi portion of Sanofi Pasteur Diagnostics.
In 2005, the company acquired Diagnostic Systems Laboratories (DSL) based in Webster, Texas.
In 2006, the company acquired Lumigen and Agencourt Bioscience.
In 2007, the company acquired the Flow Cytometry Business Group of Dako North America, Inc.
In 2009, the company acquired Lab-based Diagnostics business of Olympus Corporation Japan.
On September 12. 2012 Danaher acquired Iris Diagnostics and its parent company IRIS International, Inc. as leader in Urinalysis Diagnositc to further boost Danaher's Diagnostic business within Beckman Coulter.
On January 3, 2019, Beckman Coulter Life Sciences announced the acquisiton of Labcyte, Inc., a privately-held manufacturer of acoustic liquid handlers.
This section may be too long and excessively detailed. (March 2019)
Though each location specializes in distinct areas of the company, many projects are worked on by teams in multiple locations working together remotely.Besides their headquarters in Brea, California, Beckman Coulter serves worldwide & some of the major locations include -
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Carlsbad, California
- Chaska, Minnesota
- Danvers, Massachusetts
- Florence, Kentucky
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Irving, Texas
- Loveland, Colorado
- Miami, Florida
- Schaumburg, Illinois
- Southfield, Michigan
- West Sacramento, California
- Porterville, California
United Arab Emirates
- Beckman Coulter (BEC) annual SEC income statement filing via Wikinvest.
- Beckman Coulter (BEC) annual SEC balance sheet filing via Wikinvest.
- Arnold Thackray and Minor Myers, Jr. ; foreword by James D. Watson. (2000). Arnold O. Beckman : one hundred years of excellence. Philadelphia, Pa.: Chemical Heritage Foundation. ISBN 978-0-941901-23-9.
- Mueller, Mark (July 5, 2010). "Beckman Puts Former HQ Site up for Sale". Orange County Business Journal. 33 (27): 4.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-02-11. Retrieved 2011-02-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Press Release | Investors | Danaher". phx.corporate-ir.net.
- "Danaher buys Iris to boost diagnostics business". Reuters. 2012-09-17.
- "MDDI Online". MDDI Online.
- Beckman Coulter Diagnostics
- Beckman Coulter Life Sciences
- Yahoo! - Beckman Coulter, Inc. Company Profile
- Beckman Historical Collection Science History Institute Digital Collections (Digitized corporate records of Beckman Coulter, Incorporated, as well as personal papers of American scientist and industrialist Arnold Orville Beckman)