Bassaleg School (Welsh: Ysgol Basaleg) is a comprehensive secondary school for pupils aged 11–18, situated in the suburb of Bassaleg on the western side of the city Newport, South Wales. The present buildings of the school range in age from the early 20th century to the present day. The buildings form a natural campus, with playing fields, lawns and gardens. It has over 1,700 pupils.
|Motto||A Tradition of Excellence (Welsh: Traddodiad o ragoriaeth)|
|Local authority||Newport City Council|
|Chairperson||Mr E J Watkins|
|Head teacher||Ms Victoria Lambe|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Houses||Ebbw, Sirhowy, Rhymni, Hafren|
|Vice chairperson||Rev'd Canon J Williams|
Notable former pupilsEdit
- John Davies, Bishop of Swansea and Brecon in the Church in Wales
- David Davies, Conservative MP for Monmouth and one of the youngest MPs in the House of Commons
- Ron Davies AM, Former First Minister of Wales and Secretary of State for Wales
- Sabrina Cohen-Hatton, Chief Fire Officer of the West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, homeless, whilst studying here.
- Amelia Womack, Deputy Leader Green Party of England and Wales 
- Stephen Jones, rugby correspondent of the Sunday Times
- Roger Lewis, writer and journalist, author of The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
- Karl Francis, film writer and director
- Paul Sharma, actor - Roger Roger, The Office, Gavin & Stacey and EastEnders as AJ Ahmed
- Anneliese Heard, triathlete
- Liz Johnson, Paralympic gold medallist
- Malcolm Thomas a former Welsh and British Lions rugby player who played club rugby for Newport. He won 27 caps for Wales during the 1950s
- Ryan Jones, former Wales and British Lions rugby player
- Alix Popham, former Welsh national rugby player and budding entrepreneur
- Aaron Wainwright, current Welsh national rugby player
- Jamie Corsi, rugby player
- Stuart Barnes, Times journalist and former Bath, England and British Lions rugby player
- Jon Callard, former Bath and England rugby player
- "A report on Bassaleg School" (PDF). Estyn. May 2019. Retrieved 28 January 2020.
- Deacon, Thomas (24 February 2018). "Why firefighters can run toward danger - woman's fascinating PhD". walesonline. Retrieved 29 September 2019.