Basabi Pal (née Ghosh; born October 1958), also known as Smt Basabi Pal, is an Indian academic currently serving as Head of the Department of French at Chandernagore Government College. Born in the Royal Family of Sheoraphuli she resides in the heritage town of Chandernagore with her family. Ambassador of France to India Alexandre Ziegler has conferred the insignia of Knight of the Order of Academic Palms (Ordre des Palmes Académiques) on Basabi Pal for her "outstanding contribution" towards the promotion of French language in her three decades of service.
|Alma mater||St. Joseph’s Convent, Chandernagore|
Institut De Chandernagor
Chandernagore Government College
Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
|Occupation||Head of The Department of French, Chandernagore Government College|
|Spouse(s)||Shree Gautam Pal|
|Children||Dyootiman Pal, Dhritiman Pal|
After passing the Indian School Certificate Exam in 1st division from St. Joseph’s Convent, Chandernagore in 1974 she got into Institut De Chandernagor to study French and was awarded 1st Class first in all the four consecutive exams. After completing her Bachelors in French from University of Burdwan as a Gold Medalist she also got her Diplôme d'études en langue française from Alliance Française, Paris in 1979 with Très honorable avec félicitations. In 1981 she completed her Masters in French from Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi and was awarded French Government scholarship in the year 1982-83 to complete her Diplôme de Professeur de Français à l’Étranger, Université Paris III, La Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris.
Post her education she joined Chandernagore Govt. College as part-time teacher in French and currently is the Associate Professor and Head of the Department of French. Pal seeks to preserve the heritage of Chandernagore and promote French language at the school level in Bengal. She is also the President of Sheoraphuli Raj Debuttar Estate, Sheoraphuli.
- "The Telegraph, India, English News Paper". Epaper.telegraphindia.com. 8 December 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Envoys on a mission". Telegraphindia.com. 19 August 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "When the French envoy came calling - Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 21 August 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Ei Samay ePaper: Bengali News | Latest News in Bengali | Bengali e-Paper | Bengali NewsPaper". Epaper.eisamay.com. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Ambassador's maiden visit to Kolkata - La France en Inde / France in India". Ambafrance-in.org. 22 August 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Chandannagar My Pride - Home". Chandannagarmypride.weebly.com. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Restoration at French cemetery". Telegraphindia.com. 23 October 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Confluence of French and Bengali culture. | Heritage & People of Chandernagore". Heritagechandernagoreblog.wordpress.com. 8 February 2016. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "New Delhi Book Fair 2013 : French Focus" (PDF). Bonjour-india.in. February 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Between History And Housing". Epaper.timesofindia.com. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "France Heritage - Photography Exhibition". Allevents.in. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Between history and housing". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "( FHI)". French Heritage India. Retrieved 9 September 2016.