Babu (1971 film)
This article needs a plot summary. (May 2021)
Babu is a 1971 Indian Tamil language film directed by A. C. Tirulokchandar. The film stars Sivaji Ganesan, Sowcar Janaki and Vennira Aadai Nirmala. The film had musical score by M. S. Viswanathan. It is a remake of the Malayalam film Odayil Ninnu, which itself was based on Kesavadev's novel of the same name. Ganesan played a rickshaw puller who adopts landlord's daughter.
|Directed by||A. C. Tirulokchandar|
|Written by||A. L. Narayanan|
|Screenplay by||A. C. Tirulokchandar|
|Based on||Odayil Ninnu by P. Kesavadev|
Vennira Aadai Nirmala
|Music by||M. S. Viswanathan|
|Cinematography||M. Viswanatha Rai|
|Edited by||R. G. Gopu|
Cine Bharath Productions
|Distributed by||AVM Productions|
- Sivaji Ganesan as Babu
- Sowcar Janaki as Parvathi (Ammu's mother)
- Vennira Aadai Nirmala as Ammu
- Vijayasri as Kannamma (Babu's lover)
- K. Balaji as Sankar (Ammu's father)
- Major Sundarrajan as Vedhachalam (Prem's father)
- S. V. Ramadas as Mill Owner
- V. K. Ramasamy as Singaram Pillai (Babu's friend)
- Nagesh as Thulukanam (Babu's friend)
- M. R. R. Vasu as Vatti Vadivel
- A. Karunanidhi as Siluvai
- Sivakumar as Prem (Ammu's lover)
- Sridevi as Child Ammu
- Roja Ramani as Young Ammu
- Shanmugasundari as Vatti Vadivel's wife
- Karuppu Subbiah as Rickshaw puller
|1||"Varadappa Varadappa"||T. M. Soundararajan (Group Corus)||Vaali|
|2||"Aadhi Mudhale"||T. M. Soundararajan, Sirkazhi Govindarajan, L. R. Eswari, S. C. Krishnan|
|3||"Idho Endhan Deivam" 1||T. M. Soundararajan|
|4||"Antha Kalathil"||L. R. Eswari|
|5||"Enna Solla"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, L. R. Eswari|
|6||"Idho Endhan Deivam" 2||T. M. Soundararajan, S. Janaki|
Release and receptionEdit
- "The Deiva Magan of all directors, he shared special bond with Sivaji Ganesan". The New Indian Express. 16 June 2016. Archived from the original on 24 October 2020. Retrieved 15 May 2021.
- Arunachalam, Param (14 April 2020). BollySwar: 1981–1990. Mavrix Infotech Private Limited. p. 538. ISBN 978-81-938482-2-7.
- Vijayakumar, B. (22 April 2012). "Odayil Ninnu 1965". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 29 March 2018. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- Suganth, M. (20 July 2019). "Movie Milestone: 30 Years Of Raja Chinna Roja". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 24 July 2019. Retrieved 15 May 2021.
- Subramanian, Anupama (27 August 2019). "When Madras cast a spell on Tamil movies". Deccan Chronicle. Archived from the original on 17 September 2019. Retrieved 15 May 2021.
- Kolappan, B. (25 February 2018). "Sridevi in Tamil filmdom: the child artiste who made it big". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 9 November 2020. Retrieved 15 May 2021.
- Ramachandran, T. M., ed. (1971). "Babu". Film World. Vol. 7. p. 99.
- Iyer, Lalita (2018). Sridevi: Queen of Hearts. Westland Publications Private Limited. p. 13.
- Vaitheesvaran, Bharani (16 February 2018). "Sridevi charmed a nation with her talent and ease of acting". Economic Times. Archived from the original on 26 October 2020. Retrieved 15 May 2021.
- "Babu (1971) – M.S. Viswanathan". Music India Online. Archived from the original on 12 April 2018. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "எம்ஜிஆர், சிவாஜி இரண்டாம் இடம்; ஆதிபராசக்திதான் முதலிடம்" [MGR, Shivaji Second Place; Primordial power comes first]. Hindu Tamil Thisai (in Tamil). 15 November 2019. Archived from the original on 22 October 2020. Retrieved 15 May 2021.