Marc "Babaloo" Mandel (born October 13, 1949) is an American screenwriter. After doing television episodes, he also began writing for feature films. He and long-time writing partner Lowell Ganz have penned numerous high-profile films, including Splash (1984), Parenthood (1989), City Slickers (1991) and A League of Their Own (1992).
|Occupation||Screenwriter, television writer, producer|
|Spouse(s)||Denise Madelyn Horn (1974–present; 6 children)|
There he met Ganz. It was Ganz who gave him the nickname "Babaloo", after the character Babaloo Mandel in Philip Roth's novel Portnoy's Complaint. Mandel and Ganz were featured in The Dialogue interview series. In the 90-minute interview with producer Mike DeLuca, they discussed their 40-year partnership as it evolved from television to feature films.
Both men worked on the television series Happy Days, Mandel as a creative consultant, Ganz as supervising producer. As a result of that connection, they were offered their first big break - the movie Night Shift - by series star Ron Howard and his friend, producer Brian Grazer. Howard directed Nightshift, and it was Grazer's first feature film as producer. The writing duo later reteamed with Howard on Splash, for which Mandel, Ganz and Bruce Jay Friedman won the National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Screenplay. Mandel, Ganz, Friedman and Grazer were also nominated for the Academy Award for Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen.
- Night Shift (1982)
- Splash (1984)
- Spies Like Us (1985)
- Gung Ho (1986)
- Vibes (1988)
- Parenthood (1989)
- City Slickers (1991)
- A League of Their Own (1992)
- Mr. Saturday Night (1992)
- Greedy (1994)
- City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (1994)
- Forget Paris (1995)
- Multiplicity (1996)
- Fathers' Day (1997)
- EDtv (1999)
- Where the Heart Is (2000)
- Robots (2005)
- Fever Pitch (2005)
- Tooth Fairy (2010)
Partial television creditsEdit
- Reed, J. D. (October 19, 1992). "Mr. Saturday Night's Writers: Funny All Week". People. 38 (16). Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- The Dialogue: Learning From the Masters - Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel (2006) at AllMovie
- "Lowell Ganz & Babaloo Mandel Collection". Online Archive of California.
- "1994 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"". razzies.com.
- "Babaloo Mandel Biography (1949–)". Filmreference.com. October 13, 1949. Retrieved October 1, 2013.