Australian Native Plants Society
The Australian Native Plants Society (Australia) (ANPSA) is a federation of seven state-based member organisations for people interested in Australia's native flora, both in aspects of conservation and in cultivation.
A national conference is held biennially for members of the state-based societies. The combined membership is over 9000 people.
The Society for Growing Australian Plants (SGAP) was established in 1957 by a group of people who "pledged to promote the establishment and breeding of Australian native plants for garden, park and farm". By 1958 active regional Societies had been established in six States and the ACT with the Federal Association (ASGAP) being formed in 1962
Initially the focus was on growing and learning about Australian Flora more for home and amenities plantings – members included botanists and horticulturists as well as enthusiastic laypeople. As time has gone on, there has been an increasing focus on conservation, and advocacy for conservation, of Australian Flora. The Wildflower Society in Western Australia has been particularly diligent in liaising with government bodies in that state and the New South Wales body is a member of the Nature Conservation Council of NSW.
The national association changed its name to the Australian Native Plants Society (Australia) in 2008.
Rare and "hard to find" Australian plants can be purchased at their plant sales, which typically occur twice a year, spring and autumn, in many regions.
Promotion of Australian floraEdit
Over the years, important texts on Australian flora have been either published by members, or funded by SGAP, including:
- The Banksia Book, by Alex George 
- The Grevillea Books (vols 1–3), by Neil Marriott & Peter Olde  
- Encyclopedia of Australian Plants Suitable for Cultivation (vols 1–9), Rodger Elliot, David Jones & Trevor Blake 
- Native Plants of the Sydney District by Alan Fairley & Philip Moore 
- Field Guide to Plants of the Dry Tropics, by Keith Townsend
- Across the Top – Gardening with Australian Plants in the Tropics, by Keith Townsend
- Common native plants of the Coorong region : identification, propagation, historical uses, by Neville Bonney (2004)
- Kemp B (2004). Wildflowers of the North Coast of New South Wales. Kenthurst, New South Wales: New Holland Press. ISBN 1-877069-05-1.
- Mason D (1999). The Blooming Banksia: Easy Identification of Banksias in Far North Eastern NSW and South Eastern Qld. Lismore, New South Wales: Australian Plants Society, NSW Region - Far North Coast Group. ISBN 0-909830-51-7.
- Holliday, Ivan; Watton, Geoffrey (2008) . Banksias: A Field and Garden Guide (3rd ed.). Adelaide, South Australia: Australian Plants Society (SA Region). ISBN 978-0-9803013-1-1.
Regional (state-based) bodiesEdit
The societies are:
- Australian Plants Society (SGAP Victoria) Inc
- Australian Plants Society NSW
- Australian Plants Society – Tasmania Region
- Australian Plants Society – SA Region
- Australian Native Plants Society – Canberra Region
- Society for Growing Australian Plants (SGAP) – Queensland Region
- Wildflower Society of Western Australia
Membership to these societies totals about 9000 people. The vast majority of members live in Australia, though there are members in Europe and America.
List of species and topics studiedEdit
- Brachychiton and allied genera
- Container Plants
- Daisy (Australian)
- Food Plants (Australian)
- Garden Design
- Hibiscus and related genera
- Isopogon and Petrophile
- Melaleuca (including Callistemon, Calothamnus and allied genera)
- Orchids (Australian)
- Palm and Cycad (Australian)
- Prostanthera and Westringia
- Succulents (Australian)
- Wallum (Coastal Banksia heath)
- Wildlife and Native Plants
A quarterly colour journal, Australian Plants, has been distributed nationally since 1959, with each region producing a quarterly newsletter. The journal produced a very large range of materials which have been collated. Bill Payne was the journal's editor from its inception until 2001. It is a 48-page newsletter in A5 format.
V.1 no.1 has cover title "Commonwealth journal of the Society... V.1 no.1-3 each issued in several "reprintings" with differing pagination and contents.
- Published by Society for Growing Australian Plants NSW Ltd., <Mar. 1988-> ; by Australian Plants Society NSW Ltd., <Mar. 2001->
"Australian plants" is complemented by the Society's online publication, "Australian plants online," but the content of the two publications is completely different.
- Also available on microfiche. In: Pinpointer popular periodicals on microfiche [microform]. Canberra : Australian Advisory Council on Bibliographical Services, 1982-1991.
- Indexed by: Biological abstracts ISSN 0006-3169.
- George, Alexander S; Gardner, C. A. (Charles Austin), 1896-1970; Society for Growing Australian Plants (N.S.W.) (1996), The banksia book (3rd ed.), Kangaroo Press in association with the Society for Growing Australian Plants -N.S.W, ISBN 978-0-86417-818-3CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- George, Alexander S; Gardner, C. A; Society for Growing Australian Plants; George, Alexander S., 1939-; Gardner, C. A. (Charles Austin), 1896-1970 (1984), The Banksia book, Kangaroo Press in association with the Society for Growing Australian Plants, ISBN 978-0-86417-006-4CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- George, Alexander S; Gardner, C. A. (Charles Austin), 1896-1970; Society for Growing Australian Plants (N.S.W.); George, Alex S (1987), The banksia book (2nd ed.), Kangaroo Press in association with the Society for Growing Australian Plants -N.S.W, ISBN 978-0-86417-143-6CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Olde, Peter; Marriott, Neil, 1951- (1994), The Grevillea book. Volume 1, Kangaroo Press, ISBN 978-0-86417-325-6CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Olde, Peter; Marriott, Neil, 1951- (1995), The Grevillea book. Volume two, Species A-L, Kangaroo Press, ISBN 978-0-86417-326-3CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Olde, Peter; Marriott, Neil, 1951- (1994), The Grevillea book. Volume three : Species M-Z, Kangaroo Press, ISBN 978-0-86417-326-3CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Elliot, W. Rodger (Winston Rodger); Jones, David L. (David Lloyd), 1944-, (author.); Blake, Trevor L, (illustrator.) (1980), Encyclopaedia of Australian plants suitable for cultivation, Lothian Publishing Co. Pty. Ltd, ISBN 978-0-85091-070-4CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Fairley, Alan; Moore, Philip, 1939-; Society for Growing Australian Plants (1989), Native plants of the Sydney district : an identification guide, Kangaroo Press in association with the Society for Growing Australian Plants-NSW, ISBN 978-0-86417-261-7CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Cavanagh, A. K., John Walter, and Jan Sked. (2007) Fifty years promoting Australian plants : a checklist of publications by SGAP and its members 1957–2007 Nedlands, W.A. : Association of Societies for Growing Australian Plants. ISBN 978-0-9587011-5-0
- Society for Growing Australian Plants (1959), Australian plants, Society for Growing Australian Plants, ISSN 0005-0008