|Edited by||Nigel Andrew|
|Australian Journal of Ecology|
|ISO 4||Austral Ecol.|
Austral Ecology: A Journal of Ecology in the Southern Hemisphere is a peer-reviewed scientific journal covering research related to the ecology of land, marine, and freshwater systems in the Southern Hemisphere. It is published by Wiley and is the official journal of the Ecological Society of Australia. The journal addresses the commonality between ecosystems in Australia and many parts of southern Africa, South America, New Zealand, and Oceania. For example, many species in the unique biotas of these regions share common Gondwana ancestors. The journal was established in 1976 as Australian Journal of Ecology, obtaining its current name in 2000. As of 2017[update], the editor-in-chief is Nigel Andrew (University of New England, New South Wales, Australia).
The Michael Bull prize, named after a long-time editor, is awarded yearly for the best student-led paper published in the journal.
The journal publishes the following article types:
- Invited Reviews
- Research Articles
- Research Notes
- Ecological Toolkit
- Natural History Notes
- D.J. Anderson (1976-1978)
- R.L. Kitching (1979-1981)
- I.R. Noble (1982-1984)
- A. Butler, H. Heatwole, R.J. Whelan (1985-1987)
- M. Bull, D. O'Dowd, R.J. Whelan (1988-1989)
- M. Bull, P. Fairweather, D. O'Dowd (1990-1992)
- D. Ayre, M. Bull, J. Ludwig (1993)
- M. Bull, P. Fairweather, J. Ludwig (1994-1995)
- P. Fairweather, J. Ludwig, S. McIntyre (1996)
- M. Bull, J. Landsberg, S. McIntyre (1997)
- M. Bull (1998-2017)
- N.R. Andrew (2018-present)
Abstracting and indexingEdit
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- "A brief history of the Society". Ecological Society of Australia. 2012-05-14. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- "Austral Ecology". Wiley Online Library. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- "Journals Indexed in AGRICOLA". AGRICOLA. United States National Agricultural Library. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- "Biological Abstracts - Journal List". Intellectual Property & Science. Clarivate Analytics. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- "Master Journal List". Intellectual Property & Science. Clarivate Analytics. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- "Serials cited". CAB Abstracts. CABI. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- "Austral Ecology". MIAR: Information Matrix for the Analysis of Journals. University of Barcelona. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- "Content/Database Overview - GEOBASE Source List". Engineering Village. Elsevier. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- "Austral Ecology". 2017 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2018.