The Astronomical Journal(Redirected from Astronomical Journal)
This article needs to be updated.(May 2017)
The Astronomical Journal (often abbreviated AJ in scientific papers and references) is a peer-reviewed monthly scientific journal owned by the American Astronomical Society and currently published by IOP Publishing. It is one of the premier journals for astronomy in the world. Until 2008, the journal was published by the University of Chicago Press on behalf of the American Astronomical Society. The reasons for the change were given by the society as the desire of the University of Chicago Press to revise its financial arrangement and their plans to change from the particular software that had been developed in-house. The other two publications of the society, the Astrophysical Journal and its supplement series, followed in January 2009.
|Delayed (12 months)|
The journal was established in 1849 by Benjamin A. Gould. It ceased publication in 1861 due to the American Civil War, but resumed in 1885. Between 1909 and 1941 the journal was edited in Albany, New York. In 1941, editor Benjamin Boss arranged to transfer responsibility for the journal to the American Astronomical Society.
The first electronic edition of The Astronomical Journal was published in January, 1998. With the July, 2006 issue, The Astronomical Journal began e-first publication, an electronic version of the journal released independently of the hardcopy issues.
- 2005–2015 John Gallagher III
- 1984–2004 Paul W. Hodge
- 1980–1983 N. H. Baker
- 1975–1979 N. H. Baker and L. B. Lucy
- 1967–1974 Lodewijk Woltjer (with Baker and Lucy for later volumes)
- 1966–1967 Gerald Maurice Clemence
- 1965–1966 Dirk Brouwer and Gerald Maurice Clemence
- 1963–1965 Dirk Brouwer
- 1959–1963 Dirk Brouwer and Harlan James Smith
- 1941–1959 Dirk Brouwer
- 1912–1941 Benjamin Boss
- 1909–1912 Lewis Boss
- 1896–1909 Seth Carlo Chandler
- 1849–1861, 1885–1896 Benjamin A. Gould, Jr.
- "American Astronomical Society Selects Institute of Physics Publishing As New Publishing Partner". PR Newswire Europe Ltd. 2007-04-25. Retrieved 2007-07-21.
- Howard, Jennifer (2007-05-18). "U. of Chicago Press Loses 3 Journals After Publishing Agreement Is Changed". Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Benjamin Apthorp Gould Prize Archived 2007-08-21 at the Wayback Machine. from the National Academy of Sciences.
- "The Astronomical Journal at Yale: in Context with Before and After" by Dorrit Hoffleit, The Astronomical Journal, 117:9-11, 1999 January