Association for Computational Linguistics
The Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL) is the international scientific and professional society for people working on problems involving natural language and computation. An annual meeting is held each summer in locations where significant computational linguistics research is carried out. It was founded in 1962, originally named the Association for Machine Translation and Computational Linguistics (AMTCL). It became the ACL in 1968.
|Focus||Computational linguistics / natural language processing|
|Origins||Association for Machine Translation and Computational Linguistics|
The ACL journal, Computational Linguistics, is the primary forum for research on computational linguistics and natural language processing. Since 1988, the journal has been published for the ACL by MIT Press.
Special Interest GroupsEdit
ACL has a large number of Special Interest Groups (SIGs), focusing on specific areas of natural language processing. Some current SIGs within ACL are:
|SIGBIOMED||Biomedical Language Processing|
|SIGDAT||Linguistic data and corpus-based approaches|
|SIGFSM||Finite State Methods|
|SIGGEN||Natural Language Generation|
|SIGHAN||Chinese Language Processing|
|SIGHUM||Language Technologies for the Socio-Economic Sciences and the Humanities|
|SIGLEX||Lexicon: the umbrella organization for the SemEval semantic evaluations and SENSEVAL word-sense evaluations|
|SIGMOL||Mathematics of Language|
|SIGMORPHON||Computational Morphology and Phonology|
|SIGNLL||Natural Language Learning|
|SIGPARSE||Natural Language Parsing|
|SIGSEMITIC||Computational Approaches to Semitic Languages|
|SIGSLAV||NLP for Slavic Languages|
|SIGSLPAT||Speech & Language Processing for Assistive Technologies|
|SIGWAC||Web as Corpus|
Each year the ACL elects a distinguished computational linguist who becomes vice-president of the organization in the next calendar year and president one year later. Recent ACL presidents are:
|2014||Gertjan van Noord|
- "What is the ACL and what is Computational Linguistics? | ACL Member Portal". www.aclweb.org. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "EACL Home". www.eacl.org. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- Sarkar, Anoop. "NAACL: North American Chapter of the ACL (Association for Computational Linguistics)". naacl.org. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "List of Issues | Computational Linguistics | MIT Press Journals". www.mitpressjournals.org. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "Computational Linguistics". cljournal.org. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "Special Interest Groups | ACL Member Portal". www.aclweb.org. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "ACL Officers - Admin Wiki". www.aclweb.org. Retrieved 21 October 2017.