Ash Walker is a London-based musician, multi-instrumentalist and DJ, whose music spans a diverse range of genres, such as jazz, blues, soul, funk, reggae, dub, trip hop, acid jazz, and electronica, among others. He has released three studio albums: Augmented 7th (2015) and Echo Chamber (2017) on Deep Heads, and Aquamarine (2019) on Night Time Stories.
|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, DJ, audio engineer|
|Labels||Night Time Stories|
|Associated acts||The Ash Walker Experience, The Specials, Ebi Soda, Resonators, Laville|
Ash Walker began his career in 2015 with the release of his debut album, Augmented 7th. The album featured a diverse range of genres, such as dub, reggae, jazz, trip-hop, and electronica. It featured Nikolaj Torp Larsen of The Specials on melodica.
Aquamarine was the first album Walker recorded at home; he recorded his previous albums in recording studios. The album featured Marc Cyril on bass, Yazz Ahmed on trumpet and flugelhorn, Lord Laville on vocals, and Jonathan Shorten on Rhodes piano and Moog synthesizer. The album included vinyl pops and hisses, as a part of what Walker calls an "anti-sound engineer" approach. His engineering approach was influenced by King Tubby.
I’m not a fan of clean, precise, and perfect. I’m quite an advocate of mistakes. I’m a big fan of fuzzes, crackles, and all the stuff that a normal engineer would try to clean up and get rid of.— Ash Walker
He formed his live trio in 2017 with himself on keyboards and melodica, Marc Cyril on bass and Tim Shackman on drums. Later, he added Lord Laville on vocals and Yazz Ahmed on trumpet, and named the band The Ash Walker Experience.
Songwriting and influencesEdit
- Gerber, Brady (2019-07-18). "Renowned DJ Ash Walker Innovates on His "Underwater Jazz" Sound". Bandcamp Daily. Retrieved 2021-05-11.
- "STAFF PICKS: ASH WALKER - AQUAMARINE". Sonic Boom Records. 2019-09-17. Retrieved 2021-05-11.
- Shiver, John-Paul (2019-07-23). "How Ash Walker transcended genres on his sublime new album Aquamarine". In Search of Media. Retrieved 2021-05-11.
- Scott-Bates, Paul (2015-10-28). "Ash Walker: Augmented 7th – album review". Louder than War. Retrieved 2021-05-11.
- "Ash Walker Signs to Night Time Stories for New Album". XLR8R. 2019-08-22. Retrieved 2021-05-11.
- "ASH WALKER - Aquamarine LP". Phonica Records. Retrieved 2021-05-11.
- "Ash Walker Experience". Pizza Express Live. Retrieved 2021-05-11.