Dave Jones, better known as Zed Bias, is an English electronic musician based in Manchester, who operates within the UK garage/2-step, broken beat and UK funky genres, as a producer and as a DJ. He has also released material under various pseudonyms including Maddslinky, and is half of the Phuturistix duo.
|Birth name||Dave Jones|
|Also known as||Maddslinky|
|Occupation(s)||Record producer, DJ|
|Years active||Mid 1990s–present|
Bias is best known for his single "Neighbourhood" which reached #25 in the UK charts in July 2000, having created a large underground response from late 1999 in its original version. Living in Milton Keynes at the time, he collaborated with a number of other local artists and DJs resulting in a host of well received tracks and remixes early in his producing career, such as "Standard Hoodlum Issue" with DJ Spatts (The Criminal Minds). Some of these have been released on his own Sidewinder/Sidestepper and Biasonic labels.
Bias started to record under the Maddslinky name in 2001, resulting in the album "Make Your Peace" in 2003 and a second "Make A Change" in 2010. Around the same time, he also became one half of the production duo Phuturistix, and has been engaged in remixing duties for many well known artists.
Bias' releases, which explore a more experimental or progressive side of the 2-step garage sound, have been hailed as a crucial element in the establishment of dubstep as a definable sound or genre.
- Make Your Peace (2003, Laws of Motion) – as Maddslinky
- Feel It Out (2003, Hospital) – as Phuturistix
- Breathe Some Light (2007, Phuture Lounge) – as Phuturistix
- Experiments with Biasonics Vol. 1 (2007, Sick Trumpet)
- Make a Change (2010, Tru Thoughts) – as Maddslinky
- Biasonic Hotsauce: Birth of the Nanocloud (2011, Tru Thoughts)
- Sleepin Giantz (2012, Tru Thoughts)
- Boss (2013, Swamp81)
- Different Response (2017, Exit Records)
- Sound of the Pirates (2000, Locked On)
- Bingo Beats Vol. 2 (2001, Bingo Beats)
- Mighty Reaction (2003, Nab Records)
- "Standard Hoodlum Issue" (1999, Social Circles) - as ES (Environmental Science) Dubs
- "Neighbourhood" (1999/2000, Locked On) - UK #25
- "Feel It Out" (2003, Hospital) - as Phuturistix
- "Somethin' Extra" (2005, Askew) - as Maddslinky
- "Time" (2007, Sick Trumpet)
- "Special" (2010, Tru Thoughts) - as Maddslinky
- "Music Deep Inside" (2011, Swamp81)
- "Subway Baby" (2011, Swamp81)
- "Hurting Me" (2012, Digital Soundboy)
- Clark, Martin. "Zed Bias biography", May 2002.
- Halewijck, Yiannis van. "Phuturistix, new Zed Bias project", Plastiks, 24 January 2003.
- Official Charts Company: "Neighbourhood" by Zed Bias
- Kodwo Eshun. "Zed Bias: 2step has a Right to Children – Part 1", Riddim.ca, 29 November 2000.
- "Maddslinky - Biography". Tru Thoughts. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- Clark, Martin. "The month in grime/dubstep", Pitchfork Media, 25 January 2006.
- Mugan, Chris. "Dubstep: Straight outta Croydon", The Independent, 28 July 2006.