Art competitions at the 1924 Summer Olympics
Art competitions were held as part of the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris, France. Medals were awarded in five categories (architecture, literature, music, painting, and sculpture), for works inspired by sport-related themes.
Art competitions were part of the Olympic program from 1912 to 1948, but were discontinued due to concerns about amateurism and professionalism. Since 1952, a non-competitive art and cultural festival has been associated with each Games.
|Architecture||none awarded|| Alfréd Hajós and Dezső Lauber (HUN)
Plan for a stadium
| Julien Médecin (MON)|
Stadium for Monte Carlo
|Literature|| Géo-Charles (FRA)
| Josef Petersen (DEN)
| Charles Gonnet (FRA)|
"Vers le Dieu d'Olympie"
| Margaret Stuart (GBR)
| Oliver Gogarty (IRL)|
"Ode to the Tailteann Games"
|Music||none awarded||none awarded||none awarded|
|Painting|| Jean Jacoby (LUX)
"Corner", "Départ", and "Rugby"
| Jack Butler Yeats (IRL)
"The Liffey Swim"
| Johan van Hell (NED)|
|Sculpture|| Konstantinos Dimitriadis (GRE)
| Frantz Heldenstein (LUX)
| Jean René Gauguin (DEN)|
| Claude-Léon Mascaux (FRA)|
At the time, medals were awarded to these artists, but art competitions are no longer regarded as official Olympic events by the International Olympic Committee. These events do not appear in the IOC medal database, and these totals are not included in the IOC's medal table for the 1924 Games.
|6||Great Britain (GBR)||0||1||0||1|
|Totals (9 nations)||3||5||6||14|
The following architects took part:
The following writers took part:
The following composers took part:
|AC||George Bamber||Great Britain|
|AC||Henry Masquilier Thiriez||France|
The following painters took part:
The following sculptors took part:
- "Art Competitions at the 1924 Summer Olympics". Olympedia. Retrieved 22 July 2020.
- "Art Competitions at the 1924 Summer Olympics: Architecture, Open". Olympedia. Retrieved 22 July 2020.
- "Art Competitions at the 1924 Summer Olympics: Literature, Open". Olympedia. Retrieved 22 July 2020.
- "Art Competitions at the 1924 Summer Olympics: Music, Open". Olympedia. Retrieved 22 July 2020.
- "Art Competitions at the 1924 Summer Olympics: Painting, Open". Olympedia. Retrieved 22 July 2020.
- "Art Competitions at the 1924 Summer Olympics: Sculpturing, Open". Olympedia. Retrieved 22 July 2020.
- (ed.) M. Avé, Comité Olympique Français. Les Jeux de la VIIIe Olympiade Paris 1924 - Rapport Officiel (PDF) (in French). Paris: Librairie de France. pp. 601–612. Archived (PDF) from the original on 10 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-25.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Wagner, Juergen. "Olympic Art Competition 1924 Paris". Olympic Games Museum. Archived from the original on 1 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
- Kramer, Bernhard (May 2004). "In Search of the Lost Champions of the Olympic Art Contests" (PDF). Journal of Olympic History. 12 (2): 29–34. Archived (PDF) from the original on 10 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-25.