Area code 814
Area code 814 is the telephone area code in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) for the northwestern and central portions of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Cities served by the area code include Altoona, Bradford, DuBois, Erie, Meadville, Oil City, Titusville, Johnstown, St. Marys, and Warren as well as the boroughs of State College, Brockway, Clearfield, Huntingdon, Mount Union, Bedford, Clarion, Punxsutawney, Tyrone, Ebensburg, Coudersport, Ridgway and Brookville.
Area code 814 is one of the original codes established in 1947. Its numbering plan area is the largest in the state. It is the only one of Pennsylvania's original four numbering plan areas that still has its original boundaries, and is one of the few original ones not comprising the entire state that have never been split or overlaid. With area code 717 having been overlaid with area code 223 in 2017, 814 is currently the only portion of Pennsylvania where seven-digit dialing is still possible. The largest cities in the area are Johnstown, Altoona, State College, and Erie; otherwise this region is largely rural. As the Greater Pittsburgh area expands to the east, those parts of it will become part of the area code's coverage area.
When numbering pool exhaustion became a threat in the 2000s, the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PUC) approved a numbering plan split in December 2009, that would have assigned area code 582 to Erie and most of the northwestern part as of early 2012. This would have been the first split in the NANP since 2007.
After the decision, a grassroots movement circulated an online petition to request the commission to cancel the action in favor of an overlay plan. The telecommunications industry also supported the overlay of area code 582.
By February 27, 2012, the projected exhaustion date for 814 was changed to the second quarter of 2018. On April 26, 2012 the PUC voted 5–0 to dismiss the plans to split 814 and revoke the implementation schedule. Current estimates suggest that 814 will be exhausted around 2021, by which time remedial action may need to be revisited.
Area code 814 serves parts of twenty-seven counties in Pennsylvania.
- Armstrong County (northeastern portion only)
- Bedford County
- Blair County
- Cambria County
- Cameron County
- Centre County (majority of area)
- Clarion County (all except portions of west)
- Clearfield County
- Clinton County (small portions)
- Crawford County (all except southwestern portion)
- Elk County
- Erie County
- Fayette County (a small portion may be assigned to 814, but most if not all uses 724)
- Forest County
- Fulton County (western portions)
- Huntingdon County (except Kishacoquillas Valley)
- Indiana County (northern and eastern portions only)
- Jefferson County
- McKean County
- Mercer County (extreme northeastern portion)
- Mifflin County (extreme southwestern corner only)
- Potter County
- Somerset County
- Tioga County (western portions only)
- Venango County (all except southeastern corner)
- Warren County
- Westmoreland County (extreme northeastern corner only)
- "PUC - Press Releases". www.puc.state.pa.us. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-12-27. Retrieved 2010-12-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Article 404 - GoErie.com - Erie, PA". GoErie.com. Archived from the original on 11 March 2018. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2013-05-10. Retrieved 2012-03-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- McKracken, Denise. "PUC Dismisses Petition for 814 Area Code Relief". Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2010-12-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- North American Numbering Plan Administration
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 814 Area Code
- Area code to run out of numbers
- 814 area code map
- Save814 Public Advocates
|Pennsylvania area codes: 215/267/445, 223/717, 272/570, 412, 484/610, 724, 814, 878|
|North: 519/226/548, 585, 607, 716, 905/289/365, Lake Erie|
|West: 412/878, 724/878, 440||area code 814||East: 570/272, 717/223|
|Maryland area codes: 240/301, 410/443/667|
|New Jersey area codes: 201/551, 609, 732/848, 856, 862/973, 908|
|Ohio area codes: 216, 220/740, 234/330, 380/614, 419/567, 440, 513, 937|
|Ontario area codes: 226/519/548, 249/705, 289/365/905, 343/613, 416/437/647, 807|