archive.is (formerly archive.today) is an archive site which stores snapshots of web pages. It retrieves one page at a time similar to WebCite, smaller than 50 MB each, but with Web 2.0 sites (such as Google Maps and Twitter) included.
Screenshot of archive.is
Type of site
|Alexa rank||2,897 (July 2018[update])|
Archive.is uses headless browsing to record what embedded resources need to be captured to provide a high-quality memento, and creates a PNG image to provide a static and non-interactive visualization of the representation.
Unlike crawlers such as Wayback Machine, archive.is only captures individual pages in response to explicit user requests, and so does not obey the robots exclusion standard. Because of this, website owners cannot unilaterally remove snapshots at will, making it a "permanent" archive.[not in citation given]
On July 21, 2015, the operators blocked access to the service from all Finnish IP addresses, stating on Twitter that they did this in order to avoid escalating a dispute they allegedly had with the Finnish government.
The site was protected by Cloudflare from August 16 2018 until September 2 2018.
Archive.is records only text and images, excluding video and other non-static content. It keeps track of the history of snapshots saved, returning to the user a request for confirmation before adding a new snapshot of an already saved Internet address.
- ten digits, from 0 to 9.
- 32 letters, 16 of the English alphabet, whose number is doubled by 16 capital letter.
The global amount of possible combinations is given by the conditional probability theorem, as follows: milions of identifiers. The number of available URIs can be additionally extended with the use of plus and minus, colon, underscore or slash signs.
Web pages cannot be duplicated from http://archive.is to http://www.archive.org as second-level backup. The reverse - from www.archive.org to archive.is - is possible, but the copy usually takes more time than a direct capture. Some web sites can't be saved by either Internet Archive or archive.is due to their robots.txt file.
The research toolbar enables advanced keywords operators, using
* as the wildcard character.
A couple of quotation marks address the search to an exact sequence of keywords present in the title or in the body of the webpage, whereas the insite operator restricts it to a specific Internet domain.
Once a web page is archived, it cannot be deleted directly by any Internet.
- "Archive.is Site Info". Site Info. Alexa Internet. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Martin Brinkmann (22 April 2015). "Create publicly available web page archives with Archive.is". Ghacks. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- Dascalescu, Dan (18 February 2013). "Web page archiving – Dan Dascalescu's Wiki (review)". Wiki.dandascalescu.com. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Koebler, Jason (29 October 2014). "Dear GamerGate: Please Stop Stealing Our Shit". Motherboard.
- Nelson, Michael L. (9 July 2013). "Archive.is Supports Memento". Research and Teaching Updates. Web Science and Digital Libraries Research Group at Old Dominion University. Archived from the original on 27 July 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "archive.is". Memento Protocol Information. Memento Development Group. Archived from the original on 15 September 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "archive.is is 100% blocked in China". GreatFire Analyzer. 12 August 2018. Archived from the original on 12 August 2018.
- "archive.li is 100% blocked in China". Great Fire Analyzer. 12 August 2018. Archived from the original on 12 August 2018.
- "archive.fo is 100% blocked in China". Great Fire Analyzer. 12 August 2018. Archived from the original on 12 August 2018.
- Lapintie, Lassi (22 July 2015). "Suomalaisilta estettiin haktivistien suosimalla verkkosivulla käynti" [Finns' access to website used by hacktivists blocked]. Iltalehti (in Finnish). Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Elistratov, Vladimir (29 January 2016). "Роскомнадзор заблокировал сервис archive..., хранящий копии веб-сайтов". TJournal (in Russian). Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Cushing, Tim (4 February 2016). "Russia Blocks Another Archive Site Because It Might Contain Old Pages About Drugs". Techdirt. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "Example snapshot history on archive.is".
- "Example: Page saved from Web Archive to Archive.is". Archived from the original on 2013-05-17.
- For example, the string insite: https://en.wikipedia.org "World Cup" returns the "World+Cup"/ related snapshots
- com/amp/s/blog.archive.is/post/41395737942/how-can-i-delete-an-archived-page/amp "Some Frequently Asked Question" Check
|url=value (help). archive.is blog. Archived from the original on Sep 26, 2013. Retrieved Nov 12, 2018.