|Owner||Harvard Library Innovation Lab|
Perma.cc was created in response to studies showing high incidences of link rot in both academic publications and judicial opinions. By archiving copies of linked resources, and providing them with a permanent URL, perma.cc is intended to provide longer-term verifiability and context for academic literature and caselaw. Perma.cc is administered by a network of academic and government libraries.
In 2016, Harvard received a $700,000 grant from the Institute for Museum and Library Services to expand development of perma.cc.
Perma.cc initiates page saves by user request only, it does not crawl the web and save pages like the Wayback Machine. A user account is required to save a page. Its target audience are organizations such as libraries, academic journals, law courts and school faculty. It provides support for organizational membership and administration of user accounts. Metadata such as notes can be added which are viewable to members within an organization. Pages can be made public or private within an organization. In 2017, Perma.cc added individual accounts limited to 10 free page saves per month, and commercial option for non-academic organizations to create institutional accounts. In January 2019, free individual accounts stopped receiving 10 free links on a recurring basis each month.
- Chant, Ian. "Perma.cc Aims to Bring Staying Power to Online Legal Citations". Library Journal. Archived from the original on 2 Oct 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Phillips, Matt. "Perma.cc". Harvard Library Innovation Lab Blog. Archived from the original on 25 Sep 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Lepore, Jill (26 January 2015). "What the Web Said Yesterday". The New Yorker. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Harvard's Perma.cc receives grant to expand its tools for saving sources on the Web". Harvard Law Today. April 14, 2016. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- "Perma.cc for individual users". Retrieved March 11, 2017.
Anyone can create a free, individual Perma.cc account, which will allow you to create ten links per month.
- "Introducing Individual Account Subscription Tiers for Perma". Perma.cc Blog. 2019-01-07. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "About Perma Records". Perma.cc. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- "Perma.cc API for developers". Perma.cc. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- "Memento Depot - perma.cc". Memento. Retrieved March 11, 2017.