Archibald Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 3rd Earl of Wharncliffe
Archibald Ralph Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 3rd Earl of Wharncliffe (17 April 1892 – 16 May 1953) was an English soldier, peer, and landowner, a member of the House of Lords.
The son of Francis John Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 2nd Earl of Wharncliff, by his marriage to Ellen Gallwey, the young Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie was educated at Eton and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, from where he was commissioned into the Life Guards. He was aide-de-camp to Lord Buxton, Governor-General of South Africa, between 1915 and 1916, then saw active service during the First World War, rising to the rank of Captain. On 8 May 1926, his father died and he succeeded as Earl of Wharncliffe and Viscount Carlton and as owner of the Wortley Hall estate in Yorkshire.
During the Second World War, Wortley Hall was requisitioned for use by the British Army and deteriorated. In 1950, Wharncliffe sold it to be used as a training college.
On 24 March 1918, he married Lady Maud Lillian Elfreda Mary Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, a daughter of William Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, 7th Earl Fitzwilliam, and Lady Maud Frederica Elizabeth Dundas, whose father was Lawrence Dundas, 1st Marquess of Zetland. Their children were:
- Lady Ann Lavinia Maud Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie (born 1919), who in 1939 married Commander Vivian Russell Salvin Bowlby and had a son, Michael Robin Salvin Bowlby, in 1947;
- Lady Mary Diana Montagu-Stuart-Wortley (1920–1997), who married as his second wife Henry Pelham-Clinton-Hope, 9th Duke of Newcastle, and had two daughters;
- Lady Barbara Maureen Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie (1921–2014), in 1943 married David Cecil Ricardo and had two sons, Dorrian Harry Ralph Ricardo (1952) and Richard Michael David Ricardo (1955);
- Lady Mary Rosemary Marie-Gabrielle Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie (1930–2017), who married Sir David Courtenay Mansel Lewis, the last Lord Lieutenant of Carmarthenshire; and
- Alan James Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 4th Earl of Wharncliffe (1935–1987)
- Burke’s Peerage, volume 3 (2003) p. 4143
- Burke’s Landed Gentry volume 1 (1965), p. 86
- Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (Debrett's Peerage Limited, 2008), p. 1,055