The Anselmianum, also known as the Pontifical Athenaeum of Saint Anselm (Italian: Pontificio Ateneo Sant'Anselmo; Latin: Pontificium Athenaeum Anselmianum) is a pontifical university in Rome associated with the Benedictines. It offers courses in philosophy, theology, liturgy, monastic studies, languages, sacramental theology, and the history of theology.
The University was founded in its present form by Pope Leo XIII in 1887, created in honor of St. Anselm of Canterbury. The Chancellor (Gran Cancelliere) of the Anselmianum is Abbot Gregory Polan, O.S.B., the Abbot Primate of the Benedictine Confederation. An additional Pontifical Institute of Sacred Liturgy was canonically established by the Holy See as a faculty of Sacred Liturgy in order to promote liturgical science through research and teaching. As such it is empowered to grant, in the name of the Pope, the unique academic degrees of License (SL.L.) and Doctorate (SL.D.) in Sacred Liturgy.
Since 5 December 2019, the Rector (Rettore Magnifico) of the Anselmianum is Father Bernhard A. Eckerstorfer, O.S.B., a Benedictine monk of Kremsmünster Abbey (Austria). Since 4 February 2021, the Vice Rector is Father Fernando Rivas, O.S.B., a Benedictine monk of the Abadía de San Benito (Argentina). Rivas also serves as the Dean of the Faculty of Theology. The President of the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Liturgy (Preside del Pontificio Istituto Liturgico) is Father Jordi-Agustí Piqué i Collado, O.S.B., a Benedictine monk of Santa Maria de Montserrat Abbey.
The University receives students (Benedictines, priests, religious, and lay) from around the world to "provide theological training to Benedictines and other congregations of the Church Universal".
The University's library was established with gifts from various Benedictine congregations and the personal collections of Cardinal Dusmet Gaetano Bernardino, and has since grown to become a substantial source of theological research material. The librarian is Brother Joseph Schneeweis, O.S.B., a Benedictine monk of Saint John's Abbey, Collegeville.
- Anscar Chupungco – Benedictine monk
- Stanley Jaki – Benedictine monk
- Brian V. Johnstone – Redemptorist priest
- Wilton Daniel Gregory – Cardinal Archbishop of Washington
- Erik Varden – Trappist monk and Bishop-Prelate of the Roman Catholic Territorial Prelature of Trondheim
- Christopher J. Coyne – Bishop of Burlington
- Charles John Brown – Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines
- Paul Augustin Mayer - Cardinal Prefect Emeritus of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
- Piero Marini - President of the Pontifical Committee for International Eucharistic Congresses
- Hernaldo Pinto Farias - Bishop of Bonfim
- Magnus Löhrer - Benedictine monk
- Basil Studer - Benedictine monk
- Adalbert de Vogüé - Benedictine monk
- Jean Leclercq - Benedictine monk
- Anselm Stolz - Benedictine monk
- Cipriano Vagaggini - Benedictine monk
- Salvatore Marsili - Benedictine monk
- Ioan Casian Tunaru - Romanian Orthodox Church Bishop of Canada
- Diego Giovanni Ravelli, Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations
- Engelbert, Pius. Sant'Anselmo in Rome : College and University : From the Beginnings to the Present Day (Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2015)
- "History". Sant'Anselmo. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- "History of the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Liturgy". Sant'Anselmo. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- "Österreicher neuer Rektor von Hochschule Sant'Anselmo". vaticannews.va. 16 December 2019. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- "Fernando Rivas OSB is the new Vice-Rector". Sant'Anselmo. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- "Election of the Dean of Theology". Sant'Anselmo. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- "Jordi-Agustí Piqué, nuevo presidente del Pontificio Instituto Litúrgico de Roma". periodistadigital.com. 12 December 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- "Nomina Preside del Pontificio Istituto Liturgico". Sant'Anselmo. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- "Casa". Sant'Anselmo (in Italian). Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- "Library". Sant'Anselmo. Retrieved 5 October 2020.