Anna Harrison (netball player)
|Full name||Anna Maree Harrison (née Scarlett)|
15 April 1983|
Westport, West Coast Region, New Zealand
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position(s): GK, GD, WD|
|Last updated: 16 April 2012|
Anna Maree Harrison (née Scarlett; born 15 April 1983 in Westport, New Zealand) is a New Zealand netball and beach volleyball player. She stands at 1.87 m (6 ft 2 in). In netball Harrison plays as goal-keep, goal-defence and/or wing-defence.
Harrison, who was raised in Karamea on the South Island's west coast, joined the New Zealand national netball team, the Silver Ferns, in 2002, travelling to the Commonwealth Games with the team as a training player. She went on to earn 39 caps in the Silver Ferns by the end of 2006. but was not selected for the 2007 World Netball Championships squad, subsequently retiring from netball to focus on beach volleyball, partnering with Susan Blundell.
After several years on the international beach volleyball circuit, Harrison left the sport in 2010 and announced her intention to return to netball. She signed with the Northern Mystics for the 2011 season of the ANZ Championship, and also regained her place in the Silver Ferns lineup for 2010. She made the team for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, where she was used in the Wing Defence position throughout the pool games. She was not named in the starting line-up for the final, but was injected into the game at half time, in the unfamiliar WD position, and helped to turn around the deficit and win the gold medal.
In the 2012 ANZ Championships, Harrison was lifted up by her teammate in order to successfully block a shot above the rim, during the round 8 match against the Melbourne Vixens. It was pulled off two more times in the game. The controversial move was dubbed the 'Harrison Hoist' by the media, and attracted a massive response from fans and casual netball followers, many believing the move should be banned. She has performed this move several times since, including on the international scene.
In February 2013, Harrison announced that she was three months pregnant and did not take part in the 2013 ANZ Championship.
On 1 September 2013, Anna gave birth to her and Craig's first child, a son, Isaac.
- "Get to Know the Silver Ferns". NZGirl. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- "Anna Scarlett retires from netball". NewsTalk ZB. 5 December 2007.[permanent dead link]
- NZPA (23 January 2010). "Scarlett and Blundell through to NZ Open semis". TVNZ.co.nz. Archived from the original on 25 January 2010.
- NZPA (16 June 2010). "Scarlett ready to do the hard yards". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 16 June 2010.
- Newstalk ZB, ONE Sport (2 August 2010). "Mystics win race to sign Scarlett". TVNZ. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- NZPA (4 August 2010). "Scarlett stoked to be back in black". TVNZ. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- "Mystics get one over Fever". ANZ Championship website. 16 April 2012. Archived from the original on 18 July 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2012.