Animal Magnetism (Scorpions album)
Cover art by Hipgnosis
|Studio album by|
|Released||31 March 1980|
|Recorded||October 1979 – February 1980|
|Studio||Dierks Studios, Stommeln, West Germany|
Manta Sound Studios, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
Mercury (US, Canada)
|Singles from Animal Magnetism|
|Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal||10/10|
In the 2001 remaster edition by EMI, an extra track "Hey You" (rare single), sung by Rudolf Schenker is included (although Klaus Meine can still be heard doing backing vocals on the track). The song was originally recorded during the Lovedrive sessions in 1978 and released two years later as side-A (together with "The Zoo" as side-B). A shorter remix from 1989 was used on the 2001 and 2015 reissues instead of the longer original single version.
The album cover was created by Storm Thorgerson of the design firm Hipgnosis and, as with earlier Scorpions album sleeves, courted controversy. However, unlike several of their previous album sleeves the controversy did not result in the cover being replaced with an alternate sleeve. Recalling the cover photo, Thorgerson remarked, "That one was funny. I don't think we figured it out. We just knew there was something rude somewhere."
Scorpions bassist at the time, Francis Buchholz, recalls that, "Hermann came up with the title for the album Animal Magnetism and we all liked it because it's an interesting title. So we had this guy Storm who was doing album covers for Pink Floyd, I think he did the one with the guy with the flames. So Storm came up with the idea for the Animal Magnetism cover, I personally didn't like it, but the rest of the band loved it. I liked the dog though."
|1.||"Make It Real"||Herman Rarebell||Rudolf Schenker||3:49|
|2.||"Don't Make No Promises (Your Body Can't Keep)"||Rarebell||Matthias Jabs||2:55|
|3.||"Hold Me Tight"||Klaus Meine, Rarebell||Schenker||3:53|
|4.||"Twentieth Century Man"||Meine||Schenker||3:00|
|6.||"Falling in Love"||Rarebell||Rarebell||4:09|
|7.||"Only a Man"||Meine, Rarebell||Schenker||3:32|
|9.||"Animal Magnetism"||Meine, Rarebell||Schenker||5:56|
|2001 CD remastered edition bonus track|
|10.||"Hey You" (original version on Japanese and US versions of Best of Rockers 'n' Ballads (1989))||Meine, Rarebell||Schenker||4:29|
|2015 bonus tracks (50th anniversary deluxe edition)|
|10.||"Hey You" (vocals by Rudolf Schenker)||Meine, Rarebell||Schenker||3:48|
|11.||"Animal Magnetism" (demo version)||Meine, Rarebell||Schenker||4:30|
|12.||"American Girls" (demo song)||Meine||Schenker||3:29|
|13.||"Get Your Love" (demo version of "Heroes Don't Cry")||Meine||Schenker||3:42|
|14.||"Restless Man" (demo version of "Twentieth Century Man")||Meine||Schenker||3:18|
|15.||"All Night Long" (demo song)||Meine, Uli Jon Roth||Meine, Roth||4:59|
- Klaus Meine – lead vocals
- Matthias Jabs – lead guitar, talk box, backing vocals
- Rudolf Schenker – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Francis Buchholz – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Herman Rarebell – drums, backing vocals
Additional musicians on "Lady Starlight"
- Allan Macmillan – strings and horns arrangements, conductor
- Adele Arman, Victoria Richard – violins
- Paul Arman – viola
- Richard Arman – cello
- Charles Elliot – bass
- Melvin Berman – oboe
- George Stimpson, Brad Wamaar – French horns
|United States||RIAA||1991||Platinum (1,000,000)|
- Weber, Barry. "Scorpions Animal Magnetism review". AllMusic. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Popoff, Martin (1 November 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. pp. 318–319. ISBN 978-1894959315.
- Fricke, David (26 June 1980). "Album Reviews: Scorpions - Animal Magnetism". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 26 June 2007. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- RIAA Gold and Platinum Search for albums by Scorpions. Retrieved on 22 February 2011.
- Animal Magnetism (CD Booklet). Scorpions. EMI. 2001. 7 24353 51542 3.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Steven Cerio. "Interview with Storm Thorgerson". Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- Syrjälä, Marko. "Interview with Francis Buchholz". Metal-rules.com. Archived from the original on 14 May 2008. Retrieved 12 May 2008.
- "Album – Scorpions, Animal Magnetism". Charts.de (in German). Media Control Charts. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Scorpions Official Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Scorpions – Animal Magnetism (album)". Swedishcharts.com. Media Control Charts. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Animal Magnetism Billboard Albums". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 22, No. 17, July 19, 1980". Library and Archives Canada. 19 July 1980. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Gold Platinum Search for Scorpions". Music Canada. Archived from the original on 31 October 2013. Retrieved 9 October 2012.