Andrew Kahn (born July 23, 1952 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), frequently credited as Andy Kahn, is a music composer, arranger and producer who was most active in the dance and disco scene in the late 1970s. In 1978, he wrote and produced Karen Young's song, "Hot Shot", for West End Records. The song entered into many of Billboard's sixteen regional Disco Action charts in July, August and September of that year, reaching the number one spot in Billboard's national Disco Action Top 40 chart on August 5, 1978 for two weeks. Prior recording achievement: Arranger for 1973 Grammy-award Gospel release on ABC Records of "Loves Me Like A Rock" by The Dixie Hummingbirds. In 2009, Kahn returned to performing solo onstage, presenting a repertoire by American composers from the first half of the 20th century. He co-produced and performed on Hollywood/TV veteran vocalist Peggy King's CD "Songs a la King." In 2016, Andy Kahn became a Steinway Spirio Artist. He is a frequent adjunct presenter at preparatory and charter schools, colleges and universities, lecturing on The Great American Songbook, and on Jazz Harmony & Improvisation. Andy Kahn is currently a voting member for The Recording Academy Grammy Awards. First book published Jan 2019 - "The HOT SHOT Heard 'Round The World" - A Musical Memoir.
|Birth name||Andrew S. Kahn|
|Born||July 23, 1952|
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Genres||Jazz, Disco, Great American Songbook|
|Occupation(s)||Pianist/Vocalist, Composer, Teacher, Author, Lecturer, Arranger, Producer|
|Years active||1970 – present|
|Labels||West End Records Fresh Sound MaxRoxx Music|
- ASCAP: "Hot Shot"
- Google Books: Billboard, 9/2/1978
- Google Books:Billboard, 8/12/1978
- National Museum of African-American History & Culture: "https://nmaahc.si.edu/object/nmaahc_2013.13.17"
- The Philadelphia Inquirer: "http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20160131_Finally__Peggy_King.html"
- Klauber, Bruce (21 October 2010). "Andy Kahn: Songs of the Spirit". Jazz Times. Retrieved 25 July 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Pritchard, Mike (26 August 2009). "Andy Kahn Protects the Classics". Atlantic City Weekly. Archived from the original on 9 October 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Klauber, Bruce (29 September 2011). "A Winning Bet: Andy Kahn Wows 'Em at Atlantic City's Resorts Hotel/Casino". Jazz Times. Archived from the original on 10 September 2011. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- WRTI: "http://wrti.org/post/visit-horowitz-steinway-piano"
- The Jewish Exponent: "http://jewishexponent.com/2017/08/09/man-many-metiers-shares-melodic-passion/"
- BearManor Media:http://www.bearmanormedia.com/hot-shot-heard-round-world-musical-memoir-softcover-edition-by-andy-kahn?search=hot%20shot
|This article on a United States composer born in the 20th century is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|