Andrea Carroll (soprano)
Andrea Carroll is an American soprano who has had an active international career in concerts and operas since 2012. A finalist in the 2015 Operalia, The World Opera Competition, she is particularly known for her performances with the Houston Grand Opera and the Vienna State Opera.
Life and careerEdit
A graduate of Walt Whitman High School and the Manhattan School of Music (MSM), Carroll grew up in Bethesda, Maryland. She performed in several operas while a student at the MSM, including the Wife in Schubert's Die Verschworenen and Despina in Così fan tutte. She also studied voice with Phyllis Curtin and Stephanie Blythe at the Tanglewood Music Center. She then served in the Young Artist Program at the Glimmerglass Opera and for two years as a member of the Young Artist Program at the Houston Grand Opera (HGO) before becoming a resident artist at the Vienna State Opera (VSO). At the VSO she has appeared as Zerlina in Don Giovanni (2015-2016) and the title heroine in Johanna Doderer’s Fatima oder Von den Mutigen Kindern (2015-2016) among other roles.
In 2012 Carroll made debuts with several American companies, including the HGO as Mussetta in La boheme, the Fort Worth Opera as Sussana in The Marriage of Figaro, and her debut at the Wolf Trap Opera as Zerlina. She returned to Wolf Trap in 2013 to perform the role of Corrina in Il viaggio a Reims and returned to the HGO to perform the roles of Adele in Die Fledermaus and The Plaintiff in Gilbert and Sullivan's Trial by Jury. That same year she made her debut at the Utah Opera as Rosalba in Florencia en el Amazonas and was a featured soloist in a program of winter and holiday music with the Houston Symphony.
In 2014 Carroll performed four roles at the HGO: Countess Ceprano in Rigoletto, Adele, Anne Engerman in A Little Night Music, and Woglinde in Das Rheingold. Also that year she portrayed Rosalba at the Washington National Opera, Julie Jordan in Carousel at the Glimmerglass Opera, Gilda in Rigoletto at Opera Santa Barbara, and the Princess in Xavier Montsalvatge's El Gato con Botas at the Gotham Chamber Opera. In 2015 she was a finalist in the Operalia, The World Opera Competition, made her debut at the Seattle Opera as Echo in Ariadne auf Naxos, performed Adina in L'elisir d'amore with the Finger Lakes Opera, and returned to the Utah Opera as Leila in Bizet's Les pêcheurs de perles before assuming her post in Vienna.
In 2016 Carroll returned to the Vienna State Opera as Waldvogel in Siegfried, Woglinde in Götterdämmerung, and Papagena in The Magic Flute. Later this year she is scheduled to perform the role of Julie Jordan at the HGO and to create the role of Mary Hatch Bailey in the world premiere of Jake Heggie's It's A Wonderful Life.
- Vivien Schweitzer. "Two Soldiers, Their Girls, Those Doubts". The New York Times.
- Zachary Woolfe (April 1, 2012). "We'll Sing and We'll Spiel, but No Sex Till War Ends Schubert's 'Verschworenen' at Manhattan School of Music". The New York Times.
- F. Paul Driscoll (December 2015). "Sound Bites: Andrea Carroll". Opera News.
- Susan Dormady Eisenberg (2014). Singer on the Fast Track: Andrea Carroll. Classical Singer.
- "Andrea Carroll". Opera Base. Retrieved December 31, 2015.
- Scott Cantrell (May 17, 2012). "Opera review: FW Opera stages a frenetic, frustrating 'Figaro'". The Dallas Morning News.
- Anne Midgette (June 23, 2013). "Review: Wolf Trap Opera's 'Il viaggio a Reims'". The Washington Post.
- Steven Brown (December 4, 2013). "Orchestra, opera singers, ballet to perform holiday event at Medical Center". Houston Chronicle.
- D. L. Groover (March 12, 2014). "Stephen Sondheim's A Little Night Music Shines At The Houston Grand Opera". Houston Press.
- Heidi Waleson (April 14, 2014). "The 'Ring' Circus Begins in Houston". The Wall Street Journal.
- Terry Ponick (September 23, 2014). "WNO's sensational "Florencia in the Amazon" at the KenCen". Communities Digital News.
- Anne Midgette (July 26, 2014). "Zambello's Glimmerglass festival: strong parts looking for a greater whole". The Washington Post.
- Corinna da Fonseca-Wollheim (December 8, 2014). "Madcap Magic of Cat vs. Ogre: Gotham Chamber Opera's 'El Gato con Botas'". The New York Times.
- Charles Donelan (November 6, 2014). "Opera Santa Barbara Amps Up Rigoletto". Santa Barbara Independent.
- Roland Flamini (September 20, 2014). "D.C. opera raises curtain with work inspired by Gabriel Garcia Marquez". The Washington Times.
- Catherine Reese Newton (January 18, 2015). "Review: Utah Opera's 'Pearl Fishers' is a treasure worth seeking". The Salt Lake Tribune.
- Cynthia Kolko (August 2, 2015). "Finger Lakes Opera to stage comedy, revue". Democrat and Chronicle.
- Melinda Bargreen (May 3, 2015). "'Ariadne auf Naxos': You'd like to be marooned with this cast". The Seattle Times.
- Rupert Christiansen (July 20, 2015). "Operalia, Royal Opera House, review: 'an unfair test'". The Daily Telegraph.
- Margaret Downing (January 29, 2015). "Houston Grand Opera Announces Its 2015-16 Season". Houston Press.