|Born||December 14, 1977|
Born in Medellín, Orozco-Estrada studied music at the Instituto Musical Diego Echavarría and learned to play violin there before taking conducting classes from age 15. Before his seventeenth birthday, he moved to Bogotá to study at the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana de la Compañía de Jesús. He immigrated to Vienna, Austria, in 1997, where he has lived ever since and where, that same year, he began advanced conducting studies at the Hochschule für Musik und darstellende Kunst, where his teachers included Uroš Lajovic.
In June 2004, he first conducted the Tonkünstler Orchestra at a Vienna Festwochen concert, as a last-minute substitute. This led to his appointment as assistant conductor of the orchestra, a post he held for two years. Orozco-Estrada became principal conductor of the Tonkünstler Orchestra in 2009, a post he held until 2015. Earlier he served as principal conductor of the ensemble “recreation” Großes Orchester Graz and, from 2005 to 2007, as music director of Oper Klosterneuburg.
Outside Austria, in May 2007, Orozco-Estrada first guest-conducted the Orquesta Sinfónica de Euskadi in San Sebastián, Spain (his father was of Basque descent). The next year he was named the orchestra's principal conductor, a post he took up in 2009 and held until June 2013.
Orozco-Estrada guest-conducted the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra in 2009. In March 2013, he was named the next principal conductor of the hr-Sinfonieorchester, effective with the 2014-2015 season, with an initial contract of 4 years. In April 2016, the orchestra announced the extension of his contract through the 2020-2021 season. He is scheduled to conclude his tenure with the hr-Sinfonieorchester at the close of the 2020-2021 season.
Orozco-Estrada first guest-conducted the London Philharmonic Orchestra (LPO) in November 2013, on a tour with the orchestra in Germany. In January 2014, the LPO announced the appointment of Orozco-Estrada as its next principal guest conductor, effective September 2015.
Orozco-Estrada first guest-conducted the Vienna Symphony Orchestra in 2006. In March 2018, the Vienna Symphony announced his appointment as its next chief conductor, effective with the 2021-2022 season, with an initial contract of 5 years. He is scheduled to take the title of chief conductor designate in the 2020-2021 season.
Orozco-Estrada debuted with the Houston Symphony Orchestra in October 2012, an appearance that led to a second engagement with the orchestra, for a private rehearsal. In January 2013, the Houston Symphony appointed Orozco-Estrada as its next music director, as of the 2014-2015 season. Before taking up the Houston post, he and the orchestra recorded Dvořák's Seventh Symphony. His current contract with the Houston Symphony is until the 2021-2022 season.
- Richard Strauss - Eine Alpensinfonie. Andrés Orozco-Estrada, Frankfurt Radio Symphony. Pentatone PTC 5186628 (2018).
- Haydn - The Creation. Andrés Orozco-Estrada, Houston Symphony, Houston Symphony Chorus. Pentatone PTC 5186614 (2018).
- Music of the Americas: Bernstein, Gershwin, Piazzolla, Revueltas. Andrés Orozco-Estrada, Houston Symphony. Pentatone PTC 5186619 (2018).
- Richard Strauss - Salome. Andrés Orozco-Estrada, Frankfurt Radio Symphony. Pentatone PTC 5186602 (2017).
- Dvořák - Symphony No.9 ("New World") / Slavonic Dances. Andrés Orozco-Estrada, Houston Symphony. Pentatone PTC 5186574 (2017).
- Richard Strauss - Ein Heldenleben / Macbeth. Andrés Orozco-Estrada, Frankfurt Radio Symphony. Pentatone PTC 5186582 (2016).
- Dvořák - Symphony No. 7 & Symphony No. 8. Andrés Orozco-Estrada, Houston Symphony. Pentatone PTC 5186578 (2016).
- Dvořák - Symphony No. 6 & 2 Slavonic Dances. Andrés Orozco-Estrada, Houston Symphony. Pentatone PTC 5186575 (2016).
- Igor Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring & The Firebird (Suite 1919). Andrés Orozco-Estrada, Frankfurt Radio Symphony. Pentatone PTC 5186556 (2016).
Orozco-Estrada and his wife Julia, an Austrian veterinarian, live in Vienna with their daughter Laura.
- A Moyano (March 21, 2012). "Orozco-Estrada adelanta un año su salida de la Orquesta de Euskadi". Diario Vasco. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- "Orozco-Estrada wird neuer Chefdirigent" (Press release). Hessischer Rundfunk. March 4, 2013. Archived from the original on April 12, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- "hr-Sinfonieorchester: Orozco-Estrada bleibt bis 2021". Musik Heute. 2016-04-18. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Alain Altinoglu wird zur Saison 2021/22 neuer Chefdirigent des hr-Sinfonieorchesters Frankfurt" (Press release). Hessischer Rundfunk. 5 December 2019. Retrieved 2019-12-06.
- "London Philharmonic Orchestra appoints Andrés Orozco-Estrada as new Principal Guest Conductor" (Press release). London Philharmonic Orchestra. 15 January 2014. Archived from the original on 18 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- Imogen Tilden (2014-01-15). "Orozco-Estrada named as LPO's new principal guest conductor". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "Andrés Orozco-Estrada wird ab der Spielzeit 2021-22 Chefdirigent der Wiener Symphoniker" (Press release). Vienna Symphony Orchestra. 28 March 2018. Archived from the original on 1 April 2018. Retrieved 2018-03-31.
- "Houston Symphony Names Andrés Orozco-Estrada As New Music Director" (Press release). Houston Symphony. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 2019-12-06.
- "Houston Symphony And Music Director Andrés Orozco-Estrada Announce Contract Renewal Through 2022" (Press release). Houston Symphony. 23 March 2017. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- Andrew Dansby (2016-03-02). "Houston Symphony releases first recording with Orozco-Estrada". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- David Gutman (March 2016). "Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring, The Firebird". Gramophone. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- Clive Paget (2018-01-04). "Strauss: Salome (Frankfurt Radio Symphony, Andrés Orozco-Estrada)". Limelight Magazine. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- IMG Artists Agency page on Orozco-Estrada
- Orquesta Sinfónica de Euskadi English-language biography
- Brian Wilson, Review of Pentatone PTC5186575. MusicWeb International website, June 2016
| Chief Conductor, Großes Orchester Graz
| Principal Conductor, Euskadiko Orchestra