Analisa Nadine Torres (born November 19, 1959) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Assumed office |
April 23, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Naomi Reice Buchwald|
|Born||November 19, 1959|
New York City, New York
|Education||Harvard College (A.B.)|
Columbia Law School (J.D.)
Torres was born in 1959 in New York City. She received her Artium Baccalaureus degree, magna cum laude, in 1981 from Harvard College and her Juris Doctor in 1984 from Columbia Law School. She spent the early portion of her legal career as a real estate associate at three New York City law firms (associate at Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler from 1988 to 1992; associate at Coudert Brothers from 1985 to 1987, and an associate at Kaye Scholer from 1984 to 1985). From 1992 to 1999, she clerked for Justice Elliot Wilk of the New York Supreme Court; she served as a Commissioner of the New York City Planning Commission from 1993 to 1995. From 2000 to 2002, Torres was a judge of the New York City Criminal Court. From 2003 to 2004, she was a judge on the New York City Civil Court. She served as an Acting Justice of the New York Supreme Court in the Bronx from 2004 to 2009, and became an elected Justice of that court in 2010, handling criminal felony cases, serving until 2013.
Federal judicial serviceEdit
On November 14, 2012, President Obama nominated Torres to serve as a United States District Judge for the United States District Court in the Southern District of New York, to the seat vacated by Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald, who took senior status on March 21, 2012. On January 2, 2013, Torres's nomination was returned to the President, due to the sine die adjournment of the Senate. On January 3, 2013, she was renominated to the same office. Her nomination was reported by the Senate Judiciary Committee on February 14, 2013, by voice vote. The Senate confirmed Torres's nomination on April 18, 2013, by voice vote. She received her commission on April 23, 2013.
- "Senate Confirms Gillibrand Recommended Judge Analisa Torres to Sit on Federal Bench". Kirsten Gillibrand United States Senator. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- "President Obama Nominates Seven to the United States District Courts". 14 November 2012.
- "Senate Judiciary Committee Nomination Questionnaire" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-02-17. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- "Torres, Analisa Nadine – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "President Obama Re-nominates Thirty-Three to Federal Judgeships". 3 January 2013.
- Analisa Torres at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Analisa Torres at Ballotpedia
Naomi Reice Buchwald
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York