Amity Gaige (born 1972) is an American novelist, known for her books O My Darling, The Folded World and Schroder. In 2006 the National Book Foundation named her a 5 under 35 honoree.
Amity Gaige and Adam Haslett in Conversation at Greenlight Bookstore - February 28, 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
|Alma mater||Brown University;|
Iowa Writers' Workshop
|Notable awards||5 Under 35 Honoree|
Amity Gaige was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, United States, to an academic father and a psychologist mother. The Gaige family moved several times before settling in Reading, Pennsylvania. She graduated from Brown University, where she studied English and theater. She later obtained an M.F.A. from the Iowa Writers' Workshop (1999).
Her third novel, Schroder (Twelve Books, 2013) was a shortlist nominee for Britain's inaugural GB£40,000 Folio Prize in 2014. The novel stirred controversy in its depiction of a reckless young father who flees with his six-year-old daughter on a road trip through New England after a custody battle. The author drew inspiration from the real-life Christian Gerhartsreiter story, though the book is not a novelization of that story. In style and form, Schroder drew comparison to works by Nabokov. The Los Angeles Times wrote, "Schroder’s closest literary relative is probably Lolita (minus the pedophilia)," and Kathryn Schulz suggested that Gaige intended Schroder as an homage and an "appropriation" of Lolita in New York Magazine, which published a scratched-out image of Nabokov's cover art. Gaige also cited Pale Fire as an influence in an interview with The New York Times' John Williams. The book was sold pre-publication for translation into fifteen languages, and was endorsed on the Dutch television show De Wereld Draait Door, sending the book into numerous reprintings. In the U.S., the book won endorsements from Jonathan Franzen and Jennifer Egan, and was reviewed in nearly every major print outlet, making it one of the most heavily reviewed books of the year. According to WorldCat, the book is held in 3,873 libraries, with editions in 8 languages.
Awards and honorsEdit
- "Amity Gaige | English". english.yale.edu. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- "O My Darling". Other Press. Archived from the original on 2013-09-23. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "National Book Foundation's 5 Under 35 Fiction Selections for 2006". Nationalbook.org. 2006-11-13. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "The Folded World". Other Press. Archived from the original on 2013-09-23. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "2007 Winners — Book of the Year Awards". Botya.forewordreviews.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "for Monday, September 10, 2007". Shelf Awareness. 2007-09-10. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- WorldCat book listing
- "Book review: "Schroder by Amity Gaige - Books". The Boston Globe. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Wernecke, Ellen (2013-04-01). "Amity Gaige: Schroder | Books | Book Review". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Brown, Janelle (2013-02-21). "A real impostor's tale inspires fascinating fiction in 'Schroder' - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Schulz, Kathryn (2013-02-18). "Kathryn Schulz on Amity Gaige's Novel Schroder". Vulture. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Williams, John (2013-02-06). "Desperate Dad: Amity Gaige Talks About 'Schroder'". The New York Times.
- "Schroder – Amity Gaige ‹ De Leesfabriek". Deleesfabriek.nl. 2013-03-07. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Schroder". Amity Gaige. Archived from the original on 2013-07-27. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Charles, Ron (2013-02-05). "Amity Gaige's 'Schroder,' reviewed by Ron Charles - Washington Post". Articles.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Maslin, Janet (2013-02-11). "'Schroder,' a Novel by Amity Gaige". The New York Times.
- Dee, Jonathan (2013-03-01). "'Schroder,' by Amity Gaige". The New York Times.
- Ciuraru, Carmela (2013-02-15). "Schroder: A Novel by Amity Gaige: Book Review - USATODAY.com". Books.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Natalie Bakopoulos (2013-03-01). "'Schroder,' by Amity Gaige". SFGate. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Losowsky, Andrew (2013-02-19). "'Schroder A Novel' By Amity Gaige: The Book We're Talking About". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Trussoni, Danielle. "Picks and Pans Main: Books". People.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Gaige, Amity 1972-, WorldCat identities
- "The 2014 Folio Prize Shortlist is Announced". Folio Prize. 10 February 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Gaby Wood (10 February 2014). "Folio Prize 2013: The Americans are coming, but not the ones we were expecting". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved February 13, 2014.