Amina Mahmoud Warsame is a Somali social scientist who served as executive director of Nagaad, a women's group in Hargeisa Somaliland. Co-author of Social and Cultural Aspects of Female Circumcision and Infibulation: A Preliminary Report (1985), she was one of the early voices raised in Africa against female genital mutilation, along with Raqiya Abdalla, Asma El Dareer, Efua Dorkenoo, and Nahid Toubia.
Warsame lived in Sweden after fleeing Somalia to escape the Somali Civil War. She helped found the Somaliland Women's Research and Action Group (SOWRAG), and in 2005 she stood for a seat in Somaliland's parliament, one of the first women to do so.
Selected works Edit
- Warsame, Aamina; Ahmed, Sayida; Talle, Aud (1985). Social and Cultural Aspects of Female Circumcision and Infibulation: A Preliminary Report. Mogadishu: Somali Academy of Sciences and Arts. OCLC 31827718.
- Warsame, Amina Mohamoud (2004). Queens without Crowns: Somaliland women's changing roles and peace building. Uppsala, Sweden: Somaliland Women's Research and Action Group and Life & Peace Institute. ISBN 918774855X. OCLC 63135935.
- Warsame, Amina Mahmoud (September 2011). Female Genital Cutting: The Transition From Infibulation to Smaller Cutting in Somaliland. Oslo: Somaliland Women’s Research and Action Group, Oslo University.
- Fried, Sarah; Warsame, Amina Mahmoud; et al. (2013). "Outpatients' perspectives on problems and needs related to female genital mutilation/cutting: a qualitative study from Somaliland". Obstetrics and Gynecology International. 2013: 165893. doi:10.1155/2013/165893. PMC 3784275. PMID 24151505.
- Isman, Elisabeth; Mahmoud Warsame, Amina; et al. (2013). "Midwives' Experiences in Providing Care and Counselling to Women with Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Related Problems". Obstetrics and Gynecology International. 2013: 785148. doi:10.1155/2013/785148. PMC 3791569. PMID 24163698.
- Meehan, Emily (20 August 2008). "The Social Democrats". Slate.
- Walley, Christine J. (2002). ""Searching for 'Voices': Feminism, Anthropology, and the Global Over Female Genital Operations"". In James, Stanlie M.; Robertson, Claire C. (eds.). Genital Cutting and Transnational Sisterhood. Urbana: University of Illinois Press. p. 60 (pp. 54–86).
- Buschkens, Willem F. L. (1990). Community Health in the Developing World: The Case of Somalia. Van Gorcum. p. 39.
- Verjee, Aly; et al. (2015). The Economics of Elections in Somaliland: The financing of political parties and candidates. London and Nairobi: Rift Valley Institute. p. 2. ISBN 9781907431364.