American Journal of Sociology
The American Journal of Sociology is a peer-reviewed bi-monthly academic journal that publishes original research and book reviews in the field of sociology and related social sciences. It was founded in 1895 as the first journal in its discipline. The current editor is Elisabeth S. Clemens. For its entire history, the journal has been housed at the University of Chicago and published by the University of Chicago Press.
|Edited by||Elisabeth S. Clemens|
University of Chicago Press (United States)
|Am. J. Sociol.|
Past editors-in-chief of the journal have been:
- Albion Small (1895–1926)
- Ellsworth Faris (1933–1936)
- Ernest Burgess (1936–1940)
- Herbert Blumer (1940–1952)
- Everett Hughes (1952–1957)
- Peter Rossi (1957–1958)
- Everett Hughes (1959–1960)
- Peter Blau (1960–1966)
- C. Arnold Anderson (1966–1973)
- Charles Bidwell (1973–1978)
- Edward Laumann (1978–1984)
- William Parish (1984–1992)
- Marta Tienda (1992–1996)
- Edward Laumann (1996–1997)
- Roger V. Gould (1997–2000)
- Andrew Abbott (2000–2016)
- Elisabeth S. Clemens (2016–present)
From 1926 to 1933, the journal was co-edited by a number of different members of the University of Chicago faculty including Ellsworth Faris, Robert E. Park, Ernest Burgess, Fay-Cooper Cole, Marion Talbot, Frederick Starr, Edward Sapir, Louis Wirth, Eyler Simpson, Edward Webster, Edwin Sutherland, William Ogburn, Herbert Blumer, and Robert Redfield.
Roger V. Gould PrizeEdit
In 2002, the American Journal of Sociology created the Roger V. Gould prize in memory of its former editor. The $1,000 prize is awarded annually at the American Sociological Association annual meeting to the paper from the previous volume of the journal that most "clearly embodies Roger’s ideals as a sociologist: clarity, rigor, and scientific ambition combined with imagination on the one hand and a sure sense of empirical interest, importance, and accuracy on the other." Winners include Peter Bearman, John Levi Martin, Michael J. Rosenfeld, Elizabeth E. Bruch, Robert D. Mare, Shelley Correll, and Roberto Garvía.
- Abbott, Andrew (1999). Department and Discipline: Chicago Sociology at One Hundred. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. ISBN 978-0-226-00099-2.
- Shanas, Ethel (May 1945). "The American Journal of Sociology Through Fifty Years". American Journal of Sociology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 50 (6): 522–533. doi:10.1086/219693. JSTOR 2771397.
- Tienda, Marta (July 1994). "Editor's Note". American Journal of Sociology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 100 (1): vii–viii. doi:10.1086/230496. JSTOR 2782534.