Alpha Chung-i Chiang (born 1927) is an American mathematical economist, Professor Emeritus of Economics at the University of Connecticut, and author of perhaps the most well known mathematical economics textbook; Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics.
Alpha C. Chiang
|Born||1927 (age 90–91)|
|Institution||University of Connecticut|
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
Chiang's undergraduate studies at St. John's University, Shanghai led to a BA in 1946, and his postgraduates studies at the University of Colorado an MA in 1948 and at Columbia University a PhD in 1954.
He taught at Denison University in Ohio from 1954 to 1964, serving as Chairman of the Department of Economics in the last three years there. Then he joined the University of Connecticut as Professor of Economics in 1964. He taught for 28 years at the University of Connecticut—becoming in 1992 Professor Emeritus of Economics. He also held Visiting Professorships at New Asia College (Hong Kong), Cornell University, Lingnan College (Hong Kong), and Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration.
Married to Emily Chiang, he has a son Darryl, and a daughter Tracey. His wide extracurricular interests include ballroom dancing, Chinese opera, Chinese painting/calligraphy, photography, and piano. A piano-music composition of his is featured in Tammy Lum's CD "Ballades & Ballads" (2015).
- Chiang, A. C., (1967). Fundamental methods of mathematical economics. McGraw-Hill, New York. (Now (2005) in 4th Edition with Wainwright, K.)
- Chiang, A. C. (1992). Elements of dynamic optimization. McGraw-Hill, New York. Now, published by Waveland Press Inc., Illinois.
- McGraw Hill: Meet the authors: Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics, 4/e - Alpha C. Chiang, University of Connecticut, Kevin Wainwright, British Columbia Institute of Technology(Accessed Jan 2015)
- Talbott, Clint (2011) In Shanghai, CU beckoned future economist, Colorado Arts and Sciences Magazine, University of Colorado (Accessed Jan 2015)
- Bello, I. (1970). "Book Review: Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics". Econometrica. 38 (5): 787–788. JSTOR 1912217.
- Rothenberg, T. J. (1968). "Book Review: Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics". American Economic Review. 58 (5): 1421–1422. JSTOR 1814064.
- (1984). Fundamental methods of mathematical economics Alpha C. Chiang. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1984. 788 pp. ISBN 0-07-010813-7. Journal of Macroeconomics. 6.
- Who’s Who in Economics: A Biographical Dictionary of Major Economists 1900–1994. MIT Press.