Almost Christmas (film)
Almost Christmas is a 2016 American Christmas comedy-drama film written and directed by David E. Talbert and starring Kimberly Elise, Mo'Nique, Nicole Ari Parker, Gabrielle Union, Keri Hilson, Jessie Usher, Danny Glover, Omar Epps, John Michael Higgins, D.C. Young Fly and Romany Malco. The film follows a dysfunctional family that comes together for the holidays for the first time since their mother's death.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||David E. Talbert|
|Written by||David E. Talbert|
|Music by||John Paesano|
|Edited by||Troy Takaki|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Box office||$42.6 million|
Principal photography began on November 2, 2015 in Covington, Georgia. The film premiered in Los Angeles on November 3, 2016 and was released in the United States on November 11, 2016 by Universal Pictures. It received mixed reviews and grossed $42 million.
Walter (Danny Glover) is a retired automotive engineer who lost his wife (Rachel Kylian) one year earlier. Now that the holiday season is here, he invites his four grown children and the rest of the family to his house for a traditional celebration. Walter knows that if his daughters Cheryl (Kimberly Elise) and Rachel (Gabrielle Union) and sons Christian (Romany Malco) and Evan (Jessie Usher) can spend five days together under the same roof, it will truly be a Christmas miracle. As his children arrive, Walter realizes a perfect Christmas without his wife is easier said than done. Cheryl, a doctor and the eldest child, arrives for the holidays with her goofy husband Lonnie (J.B. Smoove), a previously famous basketball player who develops a mutual interest in a young grocery store worker (Keri Hilson) shortly after arriving in town. His eldest son and second born, Christian, struggles with balancing his campaign to become a congressman and his desire to spend time with his family. Christian invites his campaign manager along, so they can get more work done. Meanwhile, Rachel, his youngest daughter and third born, struggles to financially support herself and her daughter due to her recent divorce and studying to become a lawyer. Lastly, Evan is a successful football player recovering from a shoulder injury, but when his coach tells him his arm is completely healed, Evan struggles to give up the pain medication.
- Danny Glover as Walter Meyers
- Rachel Kylian as Grace Meyers
- Kimberly Elise as Dr. Cheryl Meyers, DDS, the eldest daughter
- Romany Malco as Christian Meyers 
- Gabrielle Union as Rachel Meyers
- Jessie Usher as Evan Meyers
- Mo'Nique as Aunt May
- J. B. Smoove as Lonnie
- Nicole Ari Parker as Sonya Meyers
- Omar Epps as Malakai
- Nadej K. Bailey as Niya
- John Michael Higgins as Andy Brooks
- DC Young Fly as Eric
- Keri Hilson as Jasmine
- Monica Brown as Waitress
- Gregory Alan Williams as Pastor Browning
- Gladys Knight as Dorothy, Shelter Director
- Tara Jones as Lucy
- Jeff Rose as Brian
- Ric Reitz as Coach Packer
- Marley Taylor as Dee Meyers
- David E. Talbert as Malaci's Mom (voice)
- Donnie Simpson as Radio DJ (voice)
- Lyn Talbert as Young Grace (voice)
On April 27, 2015, it was announced that Universal Pictures had bought the comedy script A Meyers Thanksgiving from David E. Talbert, who would also direct the film, with Will Packer producing through Will Packer Productions. The film was retitled A Meyers Christmas, setting around the Christmas holidays. In April 2016, Universal Pictures announced another title change for the film, which will now be called Almost Christmas.
Almost Christmas was released alongside Arrival and Shut In, and was expected to gross around $15 million from 2,376 theaters in its opening weekend. The film made $507,000 from Thursday night previews at 1,885 theaters and $5.9 million on its first day. It went on to gross $15.6 million, finishing fourth at the box office.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 51% based on 59 reviews, with an average rating of 5.3/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "While far from the worst holiday dramedy audiences could hope for, Almost Christmas isn't distinctive enough to prompt a visit to the theater – or annual yuletide viewings." On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating, the film has a weighted average score of 55 out of 100, based on 27 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A–" on an A+ to F scale.
- "Almost Christmas (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. November 21, 2016. Retrieved November 21, 2016.
- McNary, Dave. "Box Office: 'Doctor Strange' to Ward Off Newcomers 'Arrival' and 'Almost Christmas'". Variety. Retrieved November 9, 2016.
- "Almost Christmas (2016)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Ford, Rebecca; Kit, Borys (October 9, 2015). "Danny Glover to Star in 'A Meyers Christmas' (Exclusive)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Pedersen, Erik (October 26, 2015). "Kimberly Elise Is Wished 'A Meyers Christmas'". deadline.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca (November 17, 2015). "Romany Malco Joins 'A Meyers Christmas' (Exclusive)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved November 18, 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca; Galuppo, Mia (October 5, 2015). "Gabrielle Union to Star in 'A Meyers Christmas' (Exclusive)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca (October 22, 2015). "'Survivor's Remorse' Star Jessie Usher Joins 'A Meyers Christmas' (Exclusive)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca (October 27, 2015). "Chandra Currelley Joins 'A Meyers Christmas' (Exclusive)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- "First Look Of J.B. Smoove, DC Young Fly, and Chandra Currelley in 'Almost Christmas'". April 14, 2016. Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- Pedersen, Erik (November 6, 2015). "Nicole Ari Parker Joins The Family For 'A Meyers Christmas'". deadline.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Busch, Anita (November 9, 2015). "Omar Epps Joins Universal Pictures' Comedy 'A Meyers Christmas'". deadline.com. Retrieved November 17, 2015.
- Fennel, Brittany (June 17, 2016). "Trailer For Star Studded Holiday Movie 'Almost Christmas'". jawbreaker.nyc. Retrieved September 14, 2016.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (April 27, 2015). "Universal & Will Packer Land David E. Talbert Spec 'A Meyers Thanksgiving'; Eye Holiday 2016". deadline.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- A. Lincoln, Ross (May 14, 2015). "Universal Sets Release Dates For 'Legend', 'A Meyers Christmas'". deadline.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Lincoln, Ross A. (2016-04-13). "Universal Retitles Family Comedy 'A Meyers Christmas'". Deadline. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- "'A Meyers Christmas' Starring Gabrielle Union Open Casting Call in Atlanta". projectcasting.com. October 27, 2015. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- "On the Set for 11/6/15: Emily Blunt and Luke Evans Start 'Girl on the Train', Brad Pitt Wraps 'Lost City of Z'". ssninsider.com. November 6, 2015. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- "Almost Christmas - Teaser (HD)". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- "'Doctor Strange' to hold off 'Arrival' and 'Almost Christmas' at the box office". Los Angeles Times.
- "'Doctor Strange' to Repeat at #1 as 'Arrival', 'Almost Christmas' & 'Shut In' Hit Theaters". Box Office Mojo.
- "Almost Christmas (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- "Almost Christmas Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Lewis, Hilary; Washington, Arlene (2017-02-10). "Mo' Nique nominated for Best Supporting Actress at Image Awards". Retrieved 2017-07-17.