Allouez Township, Michigan
Allouez Township, Michigan
|• Supervisor||Mark Aho|
|• Total||54.69 sq mi (141.65 km2)|
|• Land||54.62 sq mi (141.46 km2)|
|• Water||0.07 sq mi (0.18 km2)|
|Elevation||988 ft (301 m)|
|• Density||29/sq mi (11.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
49805, 49901, 49913, 49917, 49950
|GNIS feature ID||1625825|
- Ahmeek Location is a small community at less than one-half mile (0.80 km) east of Ahmeek village.
- Allouez is a small community at US 41/M-26 at the boundary line with Houghton County approximately one mile south of Ahmeek. The Allouez ZIP code is 49805 and serves a large area in the northern part of the township. on
- Bumbletown is an unincorporated community in the township.
- Fulton is a small community at Houghton County boundary line. , adjacent to Mohawk on the south and less than a mile north of the
- Mohawk is a small community at  The Mohawk ZIP code is 49950 and serves a large portion of the northeastern tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula  on US 41/M-26 less than two miles (3.2 km) east of Ahmeek.
- New Allouez is a small community at on US 41/M-26 less than one-half mile (0.80 km) northeast of Allouez.
The township is in western Keweenaw County, on the northwest side of the Keweenaw Peninsula. It is bordered to the south by Calumet Charter Township in Houghton County, to the southeast by Sherman Township and to the east by Houghton Township in Keweenaw County, and to the northwest by Lake Superior. According to the United States Census Bureau, the Allouez Township has a total area of 54.7 square miles (141.6 km2), of which 54.6 square miles (141.5 km2) are land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km2), or 0.13%, are water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,584 people, 710 households, and 430 families residing in the township. The population density was 29.0 per square mile (11.2/km²). There were 973 housing units at an average density of 17.8 per square mile (6.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.93% White, 0.06% Native American, 0.13% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 0.82% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.19% of the population. 44.6% were of Finnish, 8.7% German, 7.4% Italian, 6.9% English and 5.7% French ancestry.
There were 710 households out of which 25.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.6% were married couples living together, 6.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.3% were non-families. 35.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.9% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 24.2% from 25 to 44, 26.8% from 45 to 64, and 19.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females, there were 103.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $26,500, and the median income for a family was $34,904. Males had a median income of $26,034 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the township was $14,974. About 9.4% of families and 14.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.6% of those under age 18 and 16.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Allouez Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001), Allouez township, Keweenaw County, Michigan". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ahmeek, Michigan
- "Map of the 49805 ZIP Code Tabulation Area". Archived from the original on 2011-06-08. Retrieved 2007-02-11.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Fulton, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Mohawk, Michigan
- "Map of the 49950 ZIP Code Tabulation Area". Archived from the original on 2011-06-08. Retrieved 2007-02-11.