Allen James Fromherz
Allen Fromherz (born May 10, 1980) is an American historian specializing in the Middle East and Mediterranean. From 2007 to 2008 he was a Professor at Qatar University. He joined the faculty of Georgia State University in 2008. Since 2015, Fromherz has served as President of the American Institute for Maghrib Studies (AIMS), a part of the Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC).
Fromherz was born on May 10, 1980 in Dallas, Oregon. He and wrote an undergraduate honors thesis on Ibn Khaldun under the direction of Gene Garthwaite at Dartmouth College, where he graduated summa cum laude in 2002. From 2002-2003 Fromherz was a Fulbright Scholar in Morocco. From 2003-2006 Fromherz studied for his PhD under the supervision of Hugh Kennedy at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. His doctoral dissertation is entitled The Rise of the Almohads: Islam, Identity and Belief in North Africa.
In 2007 Fromherz joined the faculty of Qatar University as an assistant professor of Middle East history.
In 2015 Fromherz became president of the American Institute for Maghrib Studies (AIMS).
In 2016 he was named as a senior humanities fellow at New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD).
In 2018 he was elected for a second term as president of AIMS and is a board member of the Council of Overseas Research Centers (CAORC).
Fromherz is a tour guide for educational group tours including Smithsonian Journeys.
- 2010, The Almohads: The Rise of an Islamic Empire, (IB Tauris, London)
- 2010, Ibn Khaldun, Life and Times, (Edinburgh University Press) 2012, Qatar: A Modern History, (Georgetown University Press)
- 2016, The Near West, Medieval North Africa, Latin Europe and the Mediterranean in the Second Axial Age
- 2018, Editor, The Gulf in World History, Arabia at the Global Crossroads, (Edinburgh University Press)
- "The rise of the Almohads: Islam, identity and belief in north Africa. - History On-line". www.history.ac.uk.
- "Allen Fromherz - History". history.gsu.edu. Archived from the original on 2018-08-26. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- "Qatar - Georgetown University Press". press.georgetown.edu. Archived from the original on 2018-11-06. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- "Administration – AIMS". aimsnorthafrica.org. Archived from the original on 2018-08-18. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- Dhabi, NYU Abu. "Past Fellows". New York University Abu Dhabi.
- "CAORC - Governance". Council of American Overseas Research Centers.
- "Allen James Fromherz - Smithsonian Journeys Expert". www.smithsonianjourneys.org. Archived from the original on 2017-03-22. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- "I.B.Tauris Publishers".
- "Allen James Fromherz". Edinburgh University Press Books.
- Fromherz, Allen James (2016). "Medieval North Africa, Latin Europe and the Mediterranean in the Second Axial Age". The Near West: Medieval North Africa, Latin Europe and the Mediterranean in the Second Axial Age. Edinburgh University Press. ISBN 9780748642946. JSTOR 10.3366/j.ctt1bh2j9j.
- The Gulf in World History: Arabia at the Global Crossroads. Oxford University Press. 1 October 2018. ISBN 9781474430654.