|Died||October 16, 1971 (aged 91)|
|Alma mater||Smith College|
|Spouse(s)||Deane Bret Swingle|
|Institutions||U.S. Department of Agriculture|
Life and careerEdit
Haskins was born on 24 April 1880, in Acton, Massachusetts to Helen A. Crane and John R. Haskins. She graduated with a bachelor's degree from Smith College in 1903. Haskins worked as a research assistant in the Plant Pathology Laboratory of the United States Department of Agriculture from 1903 to 1906.
Erwin Frink Smith, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's plant pathologist-in-charge, regularly employed women botanists in the Bureau of Plant Industry to study plant diseases. Haskins was among the group, which included Nellie A. Brown, Clara H. Hasse, Florence Hedges, Agnes J. Quirk, Della Watkins, and Mary K. Bryan working on such agricultural problems as crown galls, citrus cankers, and corn and chestnut blight.
In 1906, she married Swingle, a fellow botanist and laboratory colleague, then moved to Bozeman, Montana, where Swingle became Professor of Botany and Bacteriology at Montana State College of Agriculture (later Montana State University).
- Rossiter, Margaret W. (January 1, 1982). Women Scientists in America: Struggles and Strategies to 1940. Baltimore, Maryland: Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 62. ISBN 9780801825095. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Swingle, Deane B., with Alice H. Swingle (1928). A Textbook of Systematic Botany. McGraw-Hill
- "Person Details for Alice Crane Haskins, "Massachusetts Births and Christenings, 1639-1915"". FamilySearch.org.
- "Biographies". The Smith Alumnae Quarterly. Smith College. 30-31: 444. 1938. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "List of members of the American Phytopathological Society". Phytopathology. 3: 330. 1913.
- "Person Details for Alice H Swingle, "California Death Index, 1940-1997"". FamilySearch.org.
- Rodgers, Andrew Denny (1952). "Erwin Frink Smith". Memoirs of the American Philosophical Society. American Philosophical Society. 31: 431–432. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Kahl, Günter; Schell, Josef S. (1982). Molecular Biology of Plant Tumors. Waltham, Massachusetts: Academic Press. p. 161. ISBN 9780123943804. Retrieved March 28, 2014.