Alibaba Cloud (Chinese: 阿里云; pinyin: Ālǐyún; literally: 'Ali Cloud'), also known as Aliyun, is a Chinese cloud computing company, a subsidiary of Alibaba Group. Alibaba Cloud provides cloud computing services to online businesses and Alibaba's own e-commerce ecosystem. Alibaba Cloud's international operations are registered and headquartered in Singapore.
|Industry||Cloud computing, Web services|
Alibaba Cloud offers cloud services. Services are available on a pay-as-you-go basis and include Elastic Compute, Data Storage, Relational Databases, Big-Data Processing, Anti-DDoS protection and Content Delivery Networks (CDN).
Outside of the status as the largest cloud computing company in China, Alibaba Cloud operates in 19 data center regions and 56 availability zones around the globe. As of June 2017, Alibaba Cloud is placed in the Visionaries' quadrant of Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Cloud Infrastructure as a Service, Worldwide.
- September 2009 – Alibaba Cloud is founded and R&D centers and operation centers are subsequently opened in Hangzhou, Beijing, and Silicon Valley.
- November 2010 – Supported the first Single's Day (11.11) Taobao shopping festival, with 2.4 billion PV in 24 hours.
- November 2012 – Became the first Chinese cloud service provider to pass ISO27001:2005 (Information Security Management System).
- January 2013 – Merged with HiChina for www.net.cn business.
- August 2013 – ApsaraDB architecture supported 5000 physical machines in a single cluster.
- December 2014 – Defended a 14-hour long DDoS attack, peaking at 453.8Gbit/s.
- May 2014 – Hong Kong data center went online.
- October 2015 – Two US data centers went online.
- July 2015 – Alibaba Group invested a further 1 billion USD to Alibaba Cloud.
- August 2015 – Alibaba Cloud’s first Singapore data center opened. Singapore is announced as Alibaba Cloud’s overseas headquarters.
- October 2015 – MaxCompute took the lead of the Sort Benchmark, sorting 100TB data in 377s compared with Apache Spark's previous record of 1406s.
- October 2015 – Alibaba Cloud Computing Conference was held in Hangzhou and attracted over 20,000 developers.
- November 2015 – Supported the 11.11 shopping festival with a record of $14.2 billion transactions in 24 hours.
- April 2016 – Alibaba Cloud partnered with SK Holdings C&C to provide cloud services to Korean and Chinese companies.
- May 2016 – Alibaba Group and SoftBank formalized joint venture to launch cloud services in Japan that utilize technologies and solutions from Alibaba Cloud.
- June 2016 – Alibaba Cloud expanded its data center operations in Singapore with the establishment of a second availability zone. Alibaba Cloud also achieved two new certifications overseas: Singapore Multi-Tier Cloud Security (MTCS) standard Level 3, and the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS).
- November 2016 - Alibaba Cloud partnered with Vodafone Germany for Data Center operation and to provide cloud services to German and European companies.
- January 2017 – Alibaba became the official cloud services provider of the Olympics.
- June 2017 – Alibaba Cloud is placed in the Visionaries quadrant of Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Cloud Infrastructure as a Service, Worldwide.
- July 2017 – Alibaba Cloud official website is changed from intl.aliyun.com to www.alibabacloud.com.
- September 2017 – Alibaba Cloud partners with Malaysia's Fusionex to provide cloud solutions in Southeast Asia.
- October 2017 – Alibaba Cloud partners with Elastic and launches a new service called Alibaba Cloud Elasticsearch.
- October 2017 - Alibaba Cloud Malaysia data center commences operations.
- December 2017 - Alibaba Cloud India data center commences operations.
- December 2017 - Alibaba Cloud received the C5 standard certifictation from german Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) for it's datacenters in Germany and Singapore
- February 2018 - Alibaba Cloud Indonesia data center commences operations.
Data Center RegionsEdit
Alibaba Cloud has 19 regional data centres globally, including China North, China South, China East, US West, US East, Europe, United Kingdom, Middle East, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, India, and Indonesia.
Alibaba Cloud provides cloud computing IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS, including services such as e-commerce, big data, IoT, Object storage (OOS), Kubernetes and data customization which can be managed from Alibaba web page or using
aliyun command line tool.
- Eileen Yu (2017-08-18). "Alibaba's fiscal 2017 revenue climbs 56 percent on cloud, mobile commerce growth | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- "PCCW Global and Alibaba Cloud expand strategic cooperation to collaboratively protect businesses against cyber attacks". 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Barb Darrow. "Alibaba backs Aliyun cloud with another billion dollars". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Hang Zhi Cheng (2015-10-30). "AliCloud Technology Sets World Sorting Records Company's FuxiSort solution sorts 100TB of data in 377 seconds". The Tech Revolutionist. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Markteintritt in Europa: Alibaba Cloud setzt auf Rechenzentrum von Vodafone Deutschland - Vodafone Medien". Vodafone Medien (in German). 2016-11-21. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Vodafone Partnership". www.alibabacloud.com. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- Fitz Tepper (2017-01-19). "Alibaba is now the official cloud services provider of the Olympics". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Jordan Novet (2017-06-15). "Alibaba just got a huge vote of confidence in the cloud war against Amazon and Microsoft". CNBC. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Alibaba Cloud International Website Official Domain Name Change". www.alibabacloud.com. 2017-07-04. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Alibaba Cloud partners with Malaysia's Fusionex to provide cloud solutions in Southeast Asia".
- "Alibaba Cloud to Offer Elasticsearch, Kibana, and X-Pack in China".
- "Alibaba Cloud Malaysia Data Center Commences Operations".
- "Alibaba Cloud Opens New Data Center in India | Alizila.com". Alizila.com. 2017-12-19. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "BSI - Presseinformationen des BSI - Cloud Computing: C5-Testat an Alibaba Cloud". www.bsi.bund.de. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Yu, Eileen. "Alibaba opens data centre in Indonesia | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "kubernetes解决方案". cn.aliyun.com. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- Alibaba Cloud (2017-09-06). "SUSS and Alibaba Cloud to Spur Entrepreneurship With New Accredited Program". Retrieved 2018-05-26.