This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2006)
Albert Gustaf Dalman (born Anders Gustaf Dalman), (17 February 1848 – 30 July 1920) was a Swedish executioner. He was the last executioner in Sweden, as well as the last to carry out capital punishment in Sweden, of Alfred Ander in 1910, the last by means of beheading by hand (in 1900) and the last to execute a woman (in 1890, his first).
Albert Gustaf Dalman
|Born||17 February 1848|
|Died||30 July 1920|
|Known for||last active executioner of Sweden|
After a military career (he was stationed with Västmanlands regiment and reached the rank of corporal), Dahlman was selected for the position of executioner for the capital Stockholm from 200 applicants on 5 August 1885. From 1887 he was the sole executioner in the country, after Per Petter Christiansson Steineck had emigrated to the United States.
Dahlman carried out the last six executions in Sweden, five with the axe and the last one with the guillotine.
- 7 August 1890 – execution of Anna Månsdotter in Kristianstad.
- 17 March 1893 – execution of Per Johan Pettersson in Gävle.
- 5 July 1900 – execution of Julius Sallrot in Karlskrona.
- 23 August 1900 – execution of Lars Nilsson in Malmö.
- 10 December 1900 – execution of John Filip Nordlund in Västerås. This was the last execution in Sweden using an axe.
- 23 November 1910 – execution of Johan Alfred Ander in Stockholm.
During the final ten years of his tenure as executioner in Sweden he carried out no executions.
After being run over by a tram, he never regained health and was cared for by his son during his last years of life. He died on 30 July 1920. Dahlman was buried at Norra begravningsplatsen in Stockholm.
In the year after his death, capital punishment was abolished in Sweden for crimes committed during peace. In 1973 it was abolished for crimes committed during war.
- "Dalman, Anders Gustaf (1848-1920), Sveriges siste skarprättare". forum.rotter.se (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 2021-06-24. Retrieved 2021-06-22.
- Björnberg, Karl-Axel; Roos, Stefan (1998). Kungliga och Norra begravningsplatserna: vandringar bland berömda personers gravar (in Swedish). Stockholm: PM Bäckström. p. 179. ISBN 91-88016-69-2. SELIBR 8381282.
- Dalman, Gustaf Albert; Gunne Gustaf Olof (1948). Sveriges siste skarprättare, A. G. Dalman: föregångare och förrättningar (in Swedish) (New ed.). Stockholm: Special-förl. SELIBR 1394386.
- Hansson Chronwall, Jöns. En bok till varning för dem som gå fria. Vaktkonstaplars och fängelsedirektörers berättelser om llfvet på Långholmen, märkvärdiga bofvars karaktärer, rymningsförsök m.m. Till slut: Sveriges skarprättare, hr Dalman, med bödelsyxan och hans porträtt samt stupstocken i slutet af boken (in Swedish). Stockholm: Svenska Vis- och småskriftsförlaget. SELIBR 10158398.
- Stolt, Ulf (1998). "A. G. Dalman - den siste skaprättaren". Situation Stockholm (in Swedish). Stockholm. 21 (4): 34–37. ISSN 1400-4437. SELIBR 2587027.
Media related to Albert Gustaf Dahlman at Wikimedia Commons