Albert C. Knudson
Albert C. Knudson
Albert Cornelius Knudson
January 23, 1873
|Died||August 28, 1953 (aged 80)|
(m. 1899; died 1948)
|Doctoral advisor||Borden Parker Bowne|
|School or tradition|
Albert Cornelius Knudson was born on January 23, 1873, in Grand Meadow, Minnesota. He was the son of Asle Knudson (1844-1939) and Synnove (Fosse) Knudsen (1842-1916), both of whom were immigrants from Norway. The family subsequently moved to Saint Paul, Minnesota. Asle Knudson regularly traveled by train to Grand Meadow to minister at the Danish-Norwegian Methodist Church until shortly before his death in 1939.
Albert Knudson studied at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis (AB 1893) and Boston University (STB 1896, PhD 1900). He attended Jena University and Berlin University (honorary ThD 1923). After teaching briefly at the University of Denver and Baker University, Baldwin City, Kansas, and at Allegheny College, Meadville, Pennsylvania, he began his long career in Boston University where he later became dean of the Boston University School of Theology (1926-1938).
- The Old Testament Problem (1908)
- Present Tendencies in Religious Thought (1924)
- The Philosophy of Personalism: A Study in the Metaphysics of Religion (1927)
- The Beacon Lights of Prophecy: An Interpretation of Amos Hosea, Isiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Deutero-Isiah (1929)
- The Doctrine of God (1930)
- The Doctrine of Redemption (1933)
- The Validity of Religious Experience (The Fondren lectures) (1937)
- The Principles of Christian Ethics (1943)
- Personalism in Theology with Edgar Sheffield Brightman (1943)
- Basic Issues in Christian Thought (1950)
- Dorrien, Gary (2003). "Making Liberal Theology Metaphysical: Personalist Idealism as a Theological School". American Journal of Theology & Philosophy. 24 (3): 219. ISSN 2156-4795. JSTOR 27944292.
- Dorrien, Gary (2006). The Making of American Liberal Theology: Crisis, Irony, and Postmodernity, 1950–2005. Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster John Knox Press. p. 10. ISBN 978-0-664-22356-4.
- Anngeister, John (June 19, 2011). "Albert C. Knudson – American theologian". WordPress.com. Retrieved August 9, 2015.
- Williams, Thomas D.; Jan Olof Bengtsson (December 2, 2013). "Personalism". Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- Shook, John R. (2005) "Knudsen, Albert Cornelius" in Dictionary of Modern American Philosophers, Volume I (A&C Black. Page 1325) ISBN 9781843710370
- Harley Flathers (September 11, 2015). "You can lend a hand this Sunday with Grand Meadow Church". PostBulletin.com, Rochester, MN. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- Hall, Timothy L. (2003) "Knudsen, Albert Cornelius Methodist Theologian, Educator" in American Religious Leaders (Infobase Publishing. Page 205-206) ISBN 9781438108063
- Deats, Paul (Ed.) (1986) The Boston Personalist Tradition (Mercer University Press) ISBN 978-0865541771
- Brightman, Edgar Sheffield (1979) Personalism in Theology: a Symposium in Honor of Albert Cornelius Knudson by Associates and Former Students (New York: AMS Press. reprint of the 1943 ed. published by Boston University Press) ISBN 0404590861