Gary John Dorrien (born March 21, 1952) is an American social ethicist and theologian. He is the Reinhold Niebuhr Professor of Social Ethics at Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York and Professor of Religion at Columbia University, both in New York City, and the author of 18 books on ethics, social theory, philosophy, theology, politics, and intellectual history.
Gary John Dorrien
March 21, 1952
Brenda L. Biggs
(m. 1979; died 2000)
|Ordained||December 18, 1982 (priest)|
|Thesis||Transformations of Modernity (1989)|
|Notable works||The Making of American Liberal Theology (2001–2006)|
Prior to joining the faculty at Union and Columbia in 2005, Dorrien taught at Kalamazoo College in Michigan, where he served as Parfet Distinguished Professor and as Dean of Stetson Chapel.
An Episcopal priest, he has taught as the Paul E. Raither Distinguished Scholar at Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut and as Horace De Y. Lentz Visiting Professor at Harvard Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
His book, The New Abolition: W. E. B. Du Bois and the Black Social Gospel, won the Grawemeyer Award in 2017.
His book, Kantian Reason and Hegelian Spirit: The Idealistic Logic of Modern Theology, won the Association of American Publishers PROSE Award in 2012.
His book, Social Ethics in the Making: Interpreting an American Tradition, won the American Library Association Choice Award in 2009.
- Logic and Consciousness: The Dialectics of Mind, Hastings Press, 1985.
- The Democratic Socialist Vision, Rowman & Littlefield, 1986.
- Reconstructing the Common Good: Theology and the Social Order. Orbis Books (June 1990). ISBN 978-0-88344-659-1
- The Neoconservative Mind: Politics, Culture, and the War of Ideology, Temple University Press, 1993, 1994.
- Soul in Society: The Making and Renewal of Social Christianity, Fortress Press, 1995.
- The Word as True Myth: Interpreting Modern Theology, Westminster John Knox Press, 1997.
- The Remaking of Evangelical Theology, Westminster John Knox Press, 1998.
- The Barthian Revolt in Modern Theology: Theology Without Weapons, Westminster John Knox Press, 2000.
- The Making of American Liberal Theology: Imagining Progressive Religion, 1805 - 1900 (v. 1). Westminster John Knox Press; 1 edition (October 1, 2001). ISBN 978-0-664-22354-0
- The Making of American Liberal Theology: Idealism, Realism, and Modernity, 1900-1950 (v. 2). Westminster John Knox Press; 1 edition (February 2003). ISBN 978-0-664-22355-7
- Imperial Designs: Neoconservatism and the New Pax Americana. Routledge (August 31, 2004). ISBN 978-0-415-94980-4
- The Making of American Liberal Theology: Crisis, Irony, and Postmodernity: 1950-2005 (v. 3). Westminster John Knox Press (November 1, 2006). ISBN 978-0-664-22356-4
- Social Ethics in the Making: Interpreting an American Tradition. Wiley-Blackwell; illustrated edition (December 22, 2008). ISBN 978-1-4051-8687-2
- Economy, Difference, Empire: Social Ethics for Social Justice. Columbia University Press; (October 2010). ISBN 978-0-231-14984-6.
- Kantian Reason and the Hegelian Spirit: The Idealistic Logic of Modern Theology. Wiley-Blackwell (April 17, 2012). ISBN 978-0470673317
- The Obama Question: A Progressive Perspective. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc, 2012. ISBN 978-1-4422-1537-5
- The New Abolition: W. E. B. Du Bois and the Black Social Gospel. Yale University Press, 2015. ISBN 978-0-300-20560-2
- Breaking White Supremacy: Martin Luther King Jr. and the Black Social Gospel. Yale University Press, 2017. ISBN 978-0-300-20561-9
- Social Democracy in the Making: Political and Religious Roots of European Socialism. Yale University Press, 2019. ISBN 978-0300236026
- "Gary Dorrien : CV" (doc). Myunion.utsnyc.edu. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Steinfels, Peter (May 25, 2007). "Two Social Ethicists and the National Landscape". The New York Times. p. B6. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Dorrien, Gary John (1989). Transformations of Modernity: The Common Good in Social and Theological Theory (PhD thesis). Union Institute. OCLC 984155347.
- "Gary Dorrien". NNDb. Retrieved June 12, 2013.
- "Department of Religion". religion.columbia.edu. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "Gary Dorrien '78 | Union Theological Seminary". utsnyc.edu. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "ABOUT US". Democratic Socialists of America. Retrieved July 14, 2018.
- Burton, Bill (December 1, 2016). "Renowned Ethicist Gary Dorrien Wins 2017 Grawemeyer Award In Religion". 89.3 WFPL News Louisville. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- "2012 Award Winners - PROSE Awards". PROSE Awards. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- "Outstanding Academic Titles | Awards & Grants". www.ala.org. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- Gary Dorrien. Faculty, Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York
- Faith and Economic Justice. Gary Dorrien, Cornel West and Serene Jones appear as guests on Bill Moyers Journal. This program originally aired July 3, 2009 on PBS
- "Theologian and Social Ethicist Gary Dorrien," by Thorne Dreyer, The Rag Blog, May 2, 2012. Includes podcast of April 27, 2012, Rag Radio interview with Gary Dorrien. (57:18)
- Faculty profile discusses Dorrien's family life